ATTENTION: Forum Metal Experts

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Thanx bob. Sounds like 'speed' metal has gone way like the term 'art' rock. Basically fizzled out. I'm a fanatic when it comes down to (sub)genres as I am about family trees. That's just me. Years ago I used to be about record labels as well however my brain no longer has the capacity to hold too much "stuff" as it once did.:banghead:

Speed Metal still exists but usually in a hybrid form .That is why I offered Stormwarrior as an example. That is were most of the speed metal is to be found today..in various European bands that mix old speed metal influences ( Canada's Exciter for example ) with the European styles of power metal.

joe

Reaction score
Speed Metal still exists but usually in a hybrid form .That is why I offered Stormwarrior as an example. That is were most of the speed metal is to be found today..in various European bands that mix old speed metal influences ( Canada's Exciter for example ) with the European styles of power metal.

Thanx for the apology Wolf. No bad feelings what so ever buddy:grinthumb

I completely understand your frustration trying to explain certain (sub)genres, especially over the internet. I was going to try to explain to rollingstoned about Soft Machine. I would have to write out a 10,000 word explanation and would of taken me hours.

I'm piecing it together. I realise it's something one isn't going to do overnight as you stated earlier. For me, I find very interesting and fun but also with the background(history, influences, etc.) I have a better appreciation for the music which in turn keeps me open minded when listening to the music. That's just my listening habits.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Power Metal and Speed metal are two different things .Power metal can be Speed Metal but only if played at a very fast tempo .Not just the lead solo but the entire song ( or atleast the majority of it ). Metal is very varied and complexed genre which is why so many sub genres exist to try to explain the different sound variations . I hate trying to explain them to people because they get confused more times then not and it takes time for them ( listening to various forms while researching the different classifications ) to get a grasp of the ideas expressed. Many people want that understanding over night.

I have been trying to piece it all together, DKW, and I am still confused. The complexities of the metal genres are very difficult to dissect, and I am still a newbie to some of these genres.

Like you said, it takes time and a lot of listening to understand what tempo shifts and sound variations make up a genre.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I have been trying to piece it all together, DKW, and I am still confused. The complexities of the metal genres are very difficult to dissect, and I am still a newbie to some of these genres.

Like you said, it takes time and a lot of listening to understand what tempo shifts and sound variations make up a genre.
Power metal basically is faster than speed metal, [tempo] more than 150bpm, lyrically mythology or fantasy themed songs with clean vocals such as Dio, Dickinson or Halford. Dragonforce and Blind Guardian are the best examples of power metal.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I understand power metal, since I have quite a bit of that in my musical library....

Avantasia
Axewitch
Blind Guardian
Communic
Demons & Wizards
Dragon Force
Edguy
ElvenKing
Evergrey
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall
Helloween
Helstar
Iced Earth
Jag Panzer
Kamelot
Magica
Manowar
Nocturnal Rites
Pagan's Mind
Primal Fear
Rhapsody of Fire
Royal Hunt
Sabaton
Savatage
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Theocracy
X Japan

But I also note that these bands appear in other genres as well......so I am assuming they have "songs" or "albums" which qualify for more than one genre. Which only tells me that any band doesn't always stick to one type of genre formula, they are diverse :)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Yeah, you definitely get the power metal genre. Just keep listening to metal and the rest will come....I'll try not to be so impatient if you ask questions but I have to reiterate that I am in no way claim the title of "metal expert "

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
As a former "metal" radio DJ, I hate categorizing sub-genres and prefer to keep things simple. Metal is metal. Either it is or it ain't. That's one of those genres I keep to prefer pretty black and white, cut and dry.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

joe

Reaction score
^^^I never keep things simple that's why I get into so much trouble, not only with others, but mostly myself.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online