ATTENTION: Forum Metal Experts

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Rob

Megadeth>Metallica in my opinion.

I've seen both in concert, both are phenomenal acts.

Once I found out about the thrash metal genre, it really started to take off, and I enjoyed them a lot more.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
^^^Are you saying that if someone gives you a couple of examples of closely related styles of music if or if your not to familar with them that you can put a (sub) genre label to them? Even after 30 years of listening to certain genres of music I still can't put certain artists in a detailed category.

For the most part, after hearing only a few examples of a certain type of similar musical styles I'm not familiar with and to differentiate the two and to say I know the contrast in styles, is well, bullshit. I think that if someone could do that after a listening to a few examples, I would probably be skeptical, but more than that, I wouldn't believe them.

If you gave me two more examples, one German/Power speed, and the other German thrash but with no label on either and asked me to tell you the difference. I might, I might not.

I still can't put some prog artists after hearing them for the first time, even a second or third time into one specific (sub) genre. Some of it is a fusion of many different styles and to put it in one detailed category isn't that easy IMO. Hell, to make it easy and to be simple I could label it as prog.

They are not THAT closely related one is very fast and melodic sounding with clean vocals .Thrash is very brash sounding and has that "thrashy" sound it got from combining the speed, harshness and aggression of hard core punk with the more technical aspects of metal.

Personally, I'm not here to get anyone to "believe" anything so whatever it's all good :D

The reason I wrote the labels was so you could hear the differences plain as day They are pretty obvious differences once you hear them side by side IMO.

EDIT: And by the way , if you got offended by my answer it was nothing personal .It's just that you are like the fourth person here who wanted me to "break down " and verbally explain some song or genre to them. It's just not something that interests me...I like spending time listening to music and experiencing what it is and means to me ...not explaining it .If others are interested in that more power to them ......I am not .I gave you samples so you could hear it for yourself .
Music is personal I don't want anyone to interpret it for me .

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
They are not THAT closely related one is very fast and melodic sounding with clean vocals .Thrash is very brash sounding and has that "thrashy" sound it got from combining the speed, harshness and aggression of hard core punk with the more technical aspects of metal.

Personally, I'm not here to get anyone to "believe" anything so whatever it's all good :D

The reason I wrote the labels was so you could hear the differences plain as day They are pretty obvious differences once you hear them side by side IMO.

EDIT: And by the way , if you got offended by my answer it was nothing personal .It's just that you are like the fourth person here who wanted me to "break down " and verbally explain some song or genre to them. It's just not something that interests me...I like spending time listening to music and experiencing what it is and means to me ...not explaining it .If others are interested in that more power to them ......I am not .I gave you samples so you could hear it for yourself .
Music is personal I don't want anyone to interpret it for me .

I couldn't hear the differences between the vids you posted as one was disabled. I did it listen to after the fact and I can hear the difference.

Nobolob's description was excellent IMO as I understood his description without any reservations and his videos were great in showing(hearing) the contrast between speed and thrash metal. Again, I could hear the contrasts as they were very apparent especially the harmony vocal choruses and the melodic vocal style of speed compared to the "brash", intense and agressive vocals of thrash.

Listening to Helloween's Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Part 2 last night I couldn't distinguish if it was speed, thrash, or power metal. All three I would say. After listening to Blind Gaurdian and then to Iced Earth I can also hear the difference between European and US power metal.

Maybe my post was grandiose, but that's irrelevent as I thought it was a good description showing the contrasts and examples of the three sub-genres, not only for my benefit but hopefully for others to get a better understanding of it as I read some posts with some people somewhat confused as well.

It wasn't plagiarised as I put the summary in my own words from reading from three different sites. Who doesn't goggle when it comes to doing research on music, bands, genres, etc.(?). If any one says otherwise, IMO is full of shit. For me, with reading about the music, hearing other members feedback, and listening to the music puts it all together for me, most of the time anyway.

I did take your second post personally. Maybe it wasn't intended to be that way. After reading your further posts, I now don't take it personally. I understand everybody has thier own way of listening, describing, and explaining music. I have respect for that, most of the time.:D

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Both videos played fine for me but whatever. If you are looking for a description of a genre and examples won't do or you don't understand mine.....well there is always Google.

Not being a smart ass just pointing out the answer is a split second away . There are a billion answers at your finger tips .....plenty of them are from obviously reputable sites

b.o.b.

Reaction score
I'm not a metal expert and I'm not a fan of dissecting music into subgenres. Speed metal was a term used more in the 80s and early 90s and the descriptions I already read on this topic are ok for me. Speed is more melodic than thrash, closest to heavy metal. The voice is not so rough as on thrash metal.

Kill 'Em All album is a fine example of speed metal

Speed metal slowly evolved into what now is called power metal. First Helloween album Walls of Jericho is another good example for old speed metal.

joe

Reaction score
Thanx bob. Sounds like 'speed' metal has gone way like the term 'art' rock. Basically fizzled out. I'm a fanatic when it comes down to (sub)genres as I am about family trees. That's just me. Years ago I used to be about record labels as well however my brain no longer has the capacity to hold too much "stuff" as it once did.:banghead:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
You can also say speed metal pioneered power metal and thrash metal pioneered black/death metal, which gives more vision.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am glad you guys are posting examples along with all the written definitions....it makes it "click" what the differences are.

@Nololob....I like the term "power" metal over "speed" metal. It is a more descriptive word. Easier to define the differences when you say power metal and black metal.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I am glad you guys are posting examples along with all the written definitions....it makes it "click" what the differences are.

@Nololob....I like the term "power" metal over "speed" metal. It is a more descriptive word. Easier to define the differences when you say power metal and black metal.

Power Metal and Speed metal are two different things .Power metal can be Speed Metal but only if played at a very fast tempo .Not just the lead solo but the entire song ( or atleast the majority of it ). Metal is very varied and complexed genre which is why so many sub genres exist to try to explain the different sound variations . I hate trying to explain them to people because they get confused more times then not and it takes time for them ( listening to various forms while researching the different classifications ) to get a grasp of the ideas expressed. Many people want that understanding over night.

I publicly offer my apologizes to Joe for my asinine attitude and impatience
toward his questions here earlier none of which he deserved .

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online