ATTENTION: Forum Metal Experts

joe

Reaction score
For me it's not a waste of time and effort, nor do I find it boring. I research and read about the music I'm listening to so I have the capability to hear the differences from one close style of music from another, especially when I'm not an expert on it or have many years and many listens.

In combination of those two things then, hopefully, sometime then can I hear the differences without goggling a bunch of BS sites.

Maybe it was filler, blow heart shit as you call it. So what. It helps me. Other than that, I couldn't give a shit other wise to be honest.:D

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about whether you like to write out long descriptions or not.
None of my business... but just saying it doesn't interest ME to "explain" music to people .For one thing they never get it anyway and second if you give them a few samples they should be able to figure it for themselves and know exactly what the difference is anyway....by ear ..that's were it matters to me.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about whether you like to write out long descriptions or not.
None of my business... but just saying it doesn't interest ME to "explain" music to people .For one thing they never get it anyway and second if you give them a few samples they should be able to figure it for themselves and know exactly what the difference is anyway....by ear ..that's were it matters to me.

That's usually the way I am. If someone is interested in a genre that I like, I give them a list of bands, or videos, and tell them to listen to it, if they enjoy it...great, if not, oh well.

joe

Reaction score
That's usually the way I am. If someone is interested in a genre that I like, I give them a list of bands, or videos, and tell them to listen to it, if they enjoy it...great, if not, oh well.

^^^Are you saying that if someone gives you a couple of examples of closely related styles of music if or if your not to familar with them that you can put a (sub) genre label to them? Even after 30 years of listening to certain genres of music I still can't put certain artists in a detailed category.

For the most part, after hearing only a few examples of a certain type of similar musical styles I'm not familiar with and to differentiate the two and to say I know the contrast in styles, is well, bullshit. I think that if someone could do that after a listening to a few examples, I would probably be skeptical, but more than that, I wouldn't believe them.

If you gave me two more examples, one German/Power speed, and the other German thrash but with no label on either and asked me to tell you the difference. I might, I might not.

I still can't put some prog artists after hearing them for the first time, even a second or third time into one specific (sub) genre. Some of it is a fusion of many different styles and to put it in one detailed category isn't that easy IMO. Hell, to make it easy and to be simple I could label it as prog.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
^^^Are you saying that if someone gives you a couple of examples of closely related styles of music if or if your not to familar with them that you can put a (sub) genre label to them? Even after 30 years of listening to certain genres of music I still can't put certain artists in a detailed category.

I would have to do more research than just the given videos. I'm saying that if I was interested in a genre or a set of genres or sub genres, I would take examples to get the feel for it, than i'd do the research to see what the band falls under genre wise. I wouldn't be able to class the band under a genre just by the videos or examples. I hope I said that right, I feel like I did. Apologies if it doesn't make much sense.

joe

Reaction score
I would have to do more research than just the given videos. I'm saying that if I was interested in a genre or a set of genres or sub genres, I would take examples to get the feel for it, than i'd do the research to see what the band falls under genre wise. I wouldn't be able to class the band under a genre just by the videos or examples. I hope I said that right, I feel like I did. Apologies if it doesn't make much sense.

No apologies needed P&C. That's basically what I'm saying. Sure some music is easier to label than others. Some of it straight forward for the most part as some is very complex and multi-layered. Some music blends many different (sub) genres.

One example is from last year. Aqarius from Haken, a prog band that from what I can hear almost covers every sub-genre of prog. After about 10 listens I still don't know what to label it. Eclectic prog, ya, that's easy. ITCOTCK is the same IMO. So many different elements, styles, and musical diversities.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
No apologies needed P&C. That's basically what I'm saying. Sure some music is easier to label than others. Some of it straight forward for the most part as some is very complex and multi-layered. Some music blends many different (sub) genres.

One example is from last year. Aqarius from Haken, a prog band that from what I can hear almost covers every sub-genre of prog. After about 10 listens I still don't know what to label it. Eclectic prog, ya, that's easy. ITCOTCK is the same IMO. So many different elements, styles, and musical diversities.

Awesome, and I agree. There are some genres that it's just blatantly obvious what they fall under, post-rock for instance. A lot of it generally sounds about the same. The eery, "whispy", echoey sound. So I can pin point that out fairly quickly.

But than when it gets to the more technical genres, like prog and metal and all those, it's difficult, because there are a lot of sub genres they can fall under.

I'll use an example as well. When I first heard of Metallica and Megadeth, I had no prior knowledge as to what was significant about them, I just thought they were good ol' rock. But once I got older, I started to realize that they were 2 out of the 4 original thrash metal bands. That shocked me, because I had thought that everything was just considered rock. But than it opened my eyes to metal. And the sub genres that follow.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online