ATTENTION: Forum Metal Experts

joe

Reaction score
I wanted to ask the forum metal experts, Wolf, b.o.b., MP, and others to describe to the difference between speed and thrash metal? What are your definitions of each sub-genre and what bands would you place in each? I'm confused as so often I am.:heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am curious, too. I am sure there are "subtle" differences, but I would like to know what is so different :dunno:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I honestly don't see much of a difference. Whatever I would consider Thrash, I would probably consider Speed. Though, I don't use the term speed metal as much as I do thrash metal, so I guess i'm a little biased.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Comparison between thrash and speed metal is like between hard and soft rock, while speed is softer than thrash, still kinda loyal to classical metal.
Of course we can put Metallica and Megadeth to speed metal, but their aggression was more likely to be considered as thrash.

Examples of speed metal:
Anvil

Running Wild

Helloween

Examples of thrash metal
Hellhammer

KAT

Sabbat

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Comparison between thrash and speed metal is like between hard and soft rock, while speed is softer than thrash, still kinda loyal to classical metal.
Of course we can put Metallica and Megadeth to speed metal, but their aggression was more likely to be considered as thrash.

Examples of speed metal:
Anvil

Running Wild

Helloween

Examples of thrash metal
Hellhammer

KAT

Sabbat

Thanks for clearing it up!

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
BTW I'm not a pompous "expert".

German Power/ Speed

German Thrash

Both are very "speedy" one is very "thrashy" as well as fast.

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
Thanx for your responses guys.:cheers2

I just wanted to hear other's descriptions.

From what I gather is that speed and thrash metal are both based on the NWoBHM with thrash incorporating hardcore punk elements such as vocal style and lyrics as speed is more melodic and is somewhere between heavy metal and thrash in being less 'abrasive' and 'brutal'.

Power metal being mostly developed in Europe and combines both heavy metal and thrash though more emphasises on melody and harmony than speed and can incorporate classical orchestrations and symphonic elements which is labeled symphonic metal, a sub-genre of power metal.

Of course, just like all other bands, there is usually more than one (sub) genre(s) they can be categorised under. For example, Megadeth is usually placed under thrash and speed, and Helloween under power and speed.

I'm anal about (sub) genres as it gives me more perspective and an appreciation of the music knowing it's origins, influences, era, and influenced.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Thanx for your responses guys.:cheers2

I just wanted to hear other's descriptions.

From what I gather is that speed and thrash metal are both based on the NWoBHM with thrash incorporating hardcore punk elements such as vocal style and lyrics as speed is more melodic and is somewhere between heavy metal and thrash in being less 'abrasive' and 'brutal'.

Power metal being mostly developed in Europe and combines both heavy metal and thrash though more emphasises on melody and harmony than speed and can incorporate classical orchestrations and symphonic elements which is labeled symphonic metal, a sub-genre of power metal.

Of course, just like all other bands, there is usually more than one (sub) genre(s) they can be categorised under. For example, Megadeth is usually placed under thrash and speed, and Helloween under power and speed.

I'm anal about (sub) genres as it gives me more perspective and an appreciation of the music knowing it's origins, influences, era, and influenced.

Yeah, pretty much any definition that can be found a million times ( and counting ) on the internet will say much the same if you just know how to google but why bother with all that blow heart stuff when you can just post a sample so they can hear the different for themselves.

I'm not one of those people who likes to waste my time breaking down every element of a song or genre and then type out a wordy bunch of space filler.
I find that boring with a capital B

To actually know the different so that you know what your listening to when you hear it is far more important.

At any rate it's pretty obvious :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.