Artists who didn't get the respect they deserved until after they died?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sadly, I dont think Michael Jackson is getting respect. I think people are extremely curious about the situation surrounding his death and looking for more "Skeletons" to fall out of his closet than they are giving his musical career respect.

I think Dimebag Darrell got respect after his death. To be honest, I had never heard of Pantera or Dimebag until his death.

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Sadly, I dont think Michael Jackson is getting respect. I think people are extremely curious about the situation surrounding his death and looking for more "Skeletons" to fall out of his closet than they are giving his musical career respect.

I think Dimebag Darrell got respect after his death. To be honest, I had never heard of Pantera or Dimebag until his death.

Well I've always like MJ's music, but I wasn't really a fan. My mom is the biggest Michael Jackson fan I know. But it wasn't until his death that I started to really listen to his older music and watch his old performances...Then I started to appreciate his great influence and contribution to music. I can now say I'm a fan. My favourite songs of his are One Day In Your Life, Human Nature, Lady In My Life, + Butterflies remix with Eve.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Michael Hutchence of INXS
P04394O2M72.jpg

And Kevin Dubrow of Quiet Riot
220px-KevinDuBrow.jpg

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I can't think of any off the top of my head. The ones that I miss the most all got plenty of respect during their lives:

Steve Goodman
Mickey Newbury
Warren Zevon

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I think the most obvious recent one is Michael Jackson.

Anyone else??
I'd disagree with this. Michael Jackson got a TON of respect in the 80's and into the early to mid 90's for his status and musicianship as a pop star. Probably more than any other artist ever has. It calmed down in from about '96 to present due to the fact that he came off as being pretty nuts and put himself in some really messed up situations (not going to go into specifics, save that for another thread).

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
I'd disagree with this. Michael Jackson got a TON of respect in the 80's and into the early to mid 90's for his status and musicianship as a pop star. Probably more than any other artist ever has. It calmed down in from about '96 to present due to the fact that he came off as being pretty nuts and put himself in some really messed up situations (not going to go into specifics, save that for another thread).

Well from the past decade, he got no respect as an artist at all. It was all about the allegations against him and not his talent. It was only until after his death that people started appreciating his music and charity work.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Not putting out any new music for 10+ years will do that to a person though. Not to mention, he'd get in the news and say he was going to write a song for this or that (post- hurricane Katrina most notably) and would donate this and that in relief and then never did it.

*shrug*

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online