Artists changing their usual style to imitate another artist

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
"Borrowed" this idea from another forum.

This is not about a song sounding too similar to another, it is about a style sounding similar to another. Where an artist seems to have gone out of his way to do something different than usual with his/her sound to mimic another artist. One-off instances also count.

For example, many people mistake Sweet's "Love is like Oxygen" as ELO. Jeff Lynne has imitated Bob Dylan a few times. Or how about The Beatles going 'Beach Boys' for 'Back in the U.S.S.R.'

Any other examples?

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Dylan does "Like A Rolling Stone" Hendrix style now.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x7BPS.jpg

I am not really sure what you are looking for, Annie. Alot of musicians especially during the 80's imitated the Glam look.

but if you are talking about sound...Tone Loc used Foreigner's sound from "hot blooded" in "funky cold Medina".

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
x7BPS.jpg

I am not really sure what you are looking for, Annie. Alot of musicians especially during the 80's imitated the Glam look.

but if you are talking about sound...Tone Loc used Foreigner's sound from "hot blooded" in "funky cold Medina".

I mean sound that is not their regular style and I mentioned the word sound in my original post.

It would be nice if people would post who the band was imitating or trying to imitate. I for one am not familiar with all musicians' styles.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
yea me either. I will have to think a bit about this. The first that comes to my mind is America "Horse with no name" for the longest time I thought that was Neil Young.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online