Artists/bands that saved the 80s from total oblivion

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I've been meaning to start a topic where we can discuss what was REAL music in the 80s and what was SHEER GARBAGE. I know there will be sparks flying by the end this topic is done...or maybe it'll go by without one single reply...WHO can tell??!!
Anyway, after listening to music since the tender age of 4 and playing the piano since 6 AND after listening to music for over 40 years, I reached this conclusion about the 80s music. In my opinion, it was bands like Blondie, The Knack, Clash, The Shirts (with Annie Golden), The Pretenders, Greg Sage and some others that saved that pro-Reagan/Thatcher era socially speaking and pro-dance era (as if the kids never danced to anything BEFORE disco music [or never had fun] ....what a silly term anyway...what does disco music mean anyway???!) from falling head deep into musical oblivion:phones::cheers:. Thoughts and comments welcome of course:heybaby::heybaby:

Kino

#1 Styx Fan
Reaction score
I kind of agree with you here, but I think there are more bands that gave the 80's it's name. Bands like, Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, and Def Leppard.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I kind of agree with you here, but I think there are more bands that gave the 80's it's name. Bands like, Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, and Def Leppard.

I agree....I was sticking to the 'poppier' side :cheers::grinthumb

zoose

Reaction score
The Question of the Ages I think.

Depends on your definition of garbage.
I loved the Knack - which many of my peers would go volcanic over, and the artsier stuff as well like Roboto.

My definition of it is a number of bands who turned out album after album of pure cardboard - often to rave reviews - seems a lot of people considered my garbage to be ambrosia. One of these "legends" had a "#1 hit" that I never heard on FM (maybe it was on AM?) or anywhere else.
Hard to define.

My time in rock bands was the 60s, when everybody sucked. I mean it - when the Who first came out Townsend couldn't play guitar very well and needed coaching from Robert Plant.
The 80s is when rock came of age and consisted of artists with monster talent.
Stuff that made Satisfaction sound like Diddle Diddle Bing wub wub.

What Disco was I still have no idea - I go with the line from that whackjob Bill Murray movie (I think it was Stripes?) - "Death before Disco".

Zombeels

Reaction score
I think it was bands like these that gave the 80's a bad sound.

deadfemalesofrock

Reaction score
I kind of shut down my attention to the music produced in the eighties, i was still listening to the seventies stuff, and had my kids in 1984 and 1988, and did'nt really notice how much had changed till i first heard punk

wolfsblood

Reaction score
I think the 80s was when rock started it's long slow descent.
But there were some great rockers who saved the decade: Black Sabbath turned out a few classic LPs (Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, Born Again). Ozzy Osbourne (Blizzard Of Ozz, Diary Of A Madman, Bark At The Moon), Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers, Stevie Ray Vaughan's work, Guns n' Roses (Appetite For Destruction), Iron Maiden's first five or six albums, Metallica's first four albums, AC/DC (Back In Black, For Those About To Rock, Flick Of The Switch, Fly On The Wall) and several other hard rockers made the decade a good one for real rock.

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
Loverboy
UFO
The Scorpions
Scandal
Pat Benatar
Riot.... their Fire Down Under album was killer
These are the ones I could stand and actually bought vinyl.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online