Artists/bands that saved the 80s from total oblivion

zoose

Reaction score
What nearly destroyed rock was Disco Vomit - it was a 70s creation.

The 80s thankfully killed off that abomination and rock began a slow recovery. The 80s get a bad rap - all I have to remember is John Travolta and leisure suits.

billtjr51

Reaction score
What nearly destroyed rock was Disco Vomit - it was a 70s creation.

The 80s thankfully killed off that abomination and rock began a slow recovery. The 80s get a bad rap - all I have to remember is John Travolta and leisure suits.

Actually disco didn't hurt rock, and rock didn't hurt disco. They were two different groups (like democrats and republicans) who were separated by music likes and dislikes. I don't think there is such a thing as general garbage in music. There is personal garbage, such as, what I like and dislike, or what you like and dislike. I personally hated (and still do) disco. But there were, and still are, disco fans. The late sixties and early 70's were a revolutionary era in music. I think that is the primary difference in the decades. There was great music in all the decades, and it continues today!

zoose

Reaction score
Oh yes Disco did hurt rock.

I went to some Disco bars and they BOOED if the DJ tried to play rock and roll. Disco dingbats hated rock and roll.

Rock stations began going to Disco formats and without that outlet a lot fewer upcoming rock groups had a vehicle for getting their music out. Disco was about as flat out retrograde as it got - Disco Inferno burn baby burn?
Bleeeeeeeeeech.
Forget about how good your music was if your records didn't get any radio airplay.

A radio takeover is what set off the legendary Disco Demolition Night in Chicago - and the backlash that finally got rid of Disco for good.

All Disco was GARBAGE.

billtjr51

Reaction score
Oh yes Disco did hurt rock.

I went to some Disco bars and they BOOED if the DJ tried to play rock and roll. Disco dingbats hated rock and roll.

Rock stations began going to Disco formats and without that outlet a lot fewer upcoming rock groups had a vehicle for getting their music out. Disco was about as flat out retrograde as it got - Disco Inferno burn baby burn?
Bleeeeeeeeeech.
Forget about how good your music was if your records didn't get any radio airplay.

A radio takeover is what set off the legendary Disco Demolition Night in Chicago - and the backlash that finally got rid of Disco for good.

All Disco was GARBAGE.

I understand what you are saying, and agree to a certain extent. But there were not many rock stations, around here anyway, in the early to mid 70's. Top 40 stations ruled the airwaves. Some rock made top 40, but not many I was listening to. Many disco songs made top 40. I agree with you on that point. Most bands I listened to didn't stand a chance of getting on the radio, except for the (I think I got one radical rock station, to many years and lost brain cells to remember) what was then an extreme rock station. I was in central NC then, not near any real big cities. I can only speak from my experiences. Anyway, rock continues!

wolfsblood

Reaction score
Let's not forget that a lot of rock bands recorded disco songs in the disco era. The Rolling Stones were full-fledged disco on Miss You and Emotional Rescue. Paul McCartney, the Grateful Dead, Kiss, Rod Stewart, etc. all of them did at least one disco song. I still can't believe the Dead did it. They were pure hippie rock.

zoose

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, and agree to a certain extent. But there were not many rock stations, around here anyway, in the early to mid 70's. Top 40 stations ruled the airwaves. Some rock made top 40, but not many I was listening to. Many disco songs made top 40. I agree with you on that point. Most bands I listened to didn't stand a chance of getting on the radio, except for the (I think I got one radical rock station, to many years and lost brain cells to remember) what was then an extreme rock station. I was in central NC then, not near any real big cities. I can only speak from my experiences. Anyway, rock continues!

Not ragging on you bro. Your examples show how desperate rock was becoming when major acts had to do disco to get any sales.
I can't think of an act that didn't start as a joke band, it's where you learned the craft.
The payoff came when an exec heard your demo and sent a promo man out with it to radio stations - in the big markets. If people liked it then the demo became a mass market single or lp and you got a tour.
No radio markets, no Rock Rodgers.
You worked yourself to death gettin your chops, playing bar mitzvahs and high school dances for a few bucks a night, paying your dues in hopes of getting your chance someday.
And trash like Disco Duck gets the markets.

billtjr51

Reaction score
Not ragging on you bro. Your examples show how desperate rock was becoming when major acts had to do disco to get any sales.
I can't think of an act that didn't start as a joke band, it's where you learned the craft.
The payoff came when an exec heard your demo and sent a promo man out with it to radio stations - in the big markets. If people liked it then the demo became a mass market single or lp and you got a tour.
You worked yourself to death gettin your chops, playing bar mitzvahs and high school dances for a few bucks a night, paying your dues in hopes of getting your chance someday.

I have always heard, in the music industry, no matter how good you are, you have to know someone in the biz to get a real chance. I am generalizing, I know there are exceptions, but I knew a manager for some local, but very good musicians. This was some years ago. He told me his bands were playing backup to more popular bands, and many times his guys(or gals) would be lucky to go home breaking even (with pay) where the headliner was making the big bucks. He said "you need to know somebody on the inside". Like you said, "when an exec heard your demo and sent a promo man out with it to radio stations - in the big markets".

Reaction score

ha, I got a poco record released in 77, and the first 3-5 songs on both sides are this great country rock, then each side the last song is a horrible attempt at disco, it was a very interesting twist to the end of the record lol:wtf:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online