Pick

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Appetite For Destruction Vs. Van Halen I

Two albums released almost 10 years apart from each other. Each album moved me in different music directions and meant different things to me.

I fully remember when VH I came out, and my reaction to David Lee Roth..I was like WOW! Running with the Devil is a song I would never get tired of hearing.

I also remember when Appetite came out. Axl Rose's squeaky, squealy voice had a major appeal to me. Yea I know he is a wanker and has treated his audiences like poo...but when the album was released, we didn't know Axl was a wanker ;). Sweet Child O Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, Night Train....all are my faves from the album.

As much as I like VH I and Van Halen as a band, I am going to have to give my support for Appetite for Destruction as the album I like better.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Oh and Cosmic...I Love being the only vote for one side in these kind of polls.:grinthumb

Well if I were more like you in than I'd be bummed out that I'm not the only one now. :p

Actually it is blasphemy that a band that treated their fans like shit, is able to beat more deserving bands into the Rock & Roll HOF. GNR is one of the most Overrated Bands.

Van Halen I had an up and coming band, damn near showing up Black Sabbath while opening for them.

This is not even close and it is correct.

Well knowing that Guns is rated so highly (overrated or not) you should have expected them to get in on their first year then, eh? :flirt

And I've heard the "Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage" story over and over again and that's just a rumor. It's been denied by members of both Van Halen and Black Sabbath.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score

Frankly, I don't really love to voices of both singers - as Axl, and Dave. But Lee Roth, even though, didn't swearing in songs. So, I vote for Van Halen.

Khor1255

Reaction score

Not a fan of either band. They are in a way very similar for being musically powerful and obnoxious at the same time. VH1 is - however - a good album while Appetitie is an album full of jingles and mediocrity.

70s empty bravado wins.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score

Well if I were more like you in than I'd be bummed out that I'm not the only one now. :p

Well knowing that Guns is rated so highly (overrated or not) you should have expected them to get in on their first year then, eh? :flirt

And I've heard the "Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage" story over and over again and that's just a rumor. It's been denied by members of both Van Halen and Black Sabbath.

Denied by the Bands, but not by the Fans who attended the Concerts.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score

My old man saw the 10th June 1978 show at Hammersmith Odeon, it's his recording doing the rounds. He said it was Van Halen for him that night.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wishing I had voted GNR now. Thinking about it, Appetite has far more songs that are memorable to me.

Khor1255

Reaction score

My old man saw the 10th June 1978 show at Hammersmith Odeon, it's his recording doing the rounds. He said it was Van Halen for him that night.
My brother and one of my best friends saw them in - I think '79 - with Sabbath. They both said VH blew Sabbath off the stage but I have to say at this point in Sabbath's career Iommi and Ozzy were not on the same page. You can see some concerts from this time on video and Iommi looks like he's ready to pummel Ozzy at any minute. It had to affect the music and I'm sure VH put on one hell of a show in their first years. Roth is an obnoxious guy but you can't deny his stage energy and power behind his vocals.

I can't imagine the very worst Sabbath concert being bested by VH but who knows? I didn't see them together and other than in video have never seen VH live. There is something about an actual performance that video cannot fully capture. It's the sound and the energy. Recording is a great invention but a good band always sounds a million times better live.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyalDonah

Members online

No members online now.