Alex Harvey (Official Thread)

bbif

Reaction score
Zombie thread, but I'm new here!

I'm a massive fan of SAHB in general & Alex in particular.

He always seemed to be surrounded by bad luck, bad health & sometimes bad people. I was very sad the day he left us.

An abiding memory for me - The Who did a tour of soccer stadiums in the Uk in 74 (or so) - quite a new concept at the time. The tour was called "Who put the boot in"
I saw it at Celtic Park in Glasgow & SAHB were the fnal support act before The Who came on.
Alex was in is element playing to his home crowd & they went down a storm.

But Alex didn't forget to pay his repects to "the big boys" who were headlining the show. A real trouper, who deserved better than he got.

This ones for you Alex

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
My favourite SAHB album is Tomorrow Belongs to Me with the epic Tale of the Giant Stone Eater. SAHB regrouped with Max Maxwell on lead vocals and released a surprisingly excellent live album, Zalvation. I thought Alex was irreplaceable, but Max did a good job and they should have attempted an album of new material. Zal Cleminson joined Nazareth for a while, so he and Manny Charlton were in the same band and were ear-shatteringly amazing.

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
I know The Hammer Song has been played on this thread before but I can't help myself,Recently discoverd this tune(with in the past 6months)& holds special meaning to me as I reflect on the men&women that built this country/world on blood/sweat&tears! No doubt will be runnin through my head at work tonight.
Sensational Alex Harvey Band-Hammer Song

rtbuck

Reaction score
Big Ears, I enjoyed the Zalvation album as well. I was hoping when it was released it would have sparked a new life. I love the 'Tomorrow...album as well but my favorite is 'Framed'

The Hammer Song is one of my favorites. It also appeared on the Alex Harvey 'Roman Wall Blues album (pre-SAHB) & is very psychedelic sounding with flutes. Also on that album is a different version of "Midnight Moses" which is mostly done with horns(it's actually pretty cool sounding) & a cool cover of "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

ITunes has a couple of awesome live albums(Live 1974 & BBC) for a reasonable price. They also have "Hot City" which is a raw mix of "The Impossible Dream" album & it is excellent

mrJim

Reaction score
Pretty cool Alex Harvey special I came across

BBC Scotland 'Ex:S' 66th birthday anniversary tribute to Alex Harvey.
Part 1

Part 2

Buck introduced me to SAHB years ago and I have never left. :bow:

Jim

rtbuck

Reaction score
Great Stuff Mr. Jim! SAHB were a great band...I've been heavy into them again & every time I listen to them I just think they should've been much bigger than they were.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Last of the Teenage Idols

51jaXmaNiRL._SY355_.jpg

Wow...what a boxset this is...14 cd's! It just was delivered yesterday & I'm pretty blown away as this set has basically everything a fan would want especially having expanded versions of all of albums Alex recorded with the Sensational Alex Harvey Band(Alex on guitars & vocals, Zal Clemenson on lead guitar(Zal later played in Nazareth on No Mean City & Malice in Wonderland), Hugh McKenna on Keyboards, & the powerhouse rhythm section that went on to join Michael Schenker Group in the early 80's drummer Ted McKenna & bassist Chris Glen)

This really isn't an official review but I was so pleased with the boxset that I had to write up something quick. This set is so cool as it starts off with a couple of albums by Alex Harvey & his Big Soul Band where they rock out early 60's style to tunes like Reelin & Rockin, I got my Mojo Working, Hoochie Coochie Man, Let the Good times Roll...etc then it follows through the psychedelic 60's/early 70's as he was in the Pit band for the musical "Hair" before the set concentrates heavy on his Sensational Alex Harvey Band Theatrical Rock. After the SAHB ended around 1978 Alex recorded a couple more albums & even recorded an album of himself interviewing people about the Lochness Monster. The set also comes with a hardcover 60 page book.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online