Next (1973)
The Impossible Dream (1974)
Tomorrow Belongs to Me (1975)
The Penthouse Tapes (1976)
SAHB Stories (1976)
Rock Drill (1978)
The Mafia Stole My Guitar (1979)
The Soldier On The Wall (1982)

Alex Harvey was a showman who lived life to its fullest. From 1957 until his untimely death at age 46 (one day prior to his 47th birthday) Alex entertained fans around the world whether it was with his Big Soul Band in the early 1960’s, his psychedelic phase in which he was in the short lived Giant Moth, his years as a member of the pit band for the musical ‘Hair’, or his Theatrical rock group The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

the-sensational-alex-harvey-band.jpg

Alex’s music career began after he won a talent contest in search of Scotland’s answer to Tommy Steele (a very popular singer/songwriter in the UK). From there he formed Alex Harvey’s Big Soul Band (which went through a few name changes prior) where he performed covers of “I Got a Woman” & “What’d I Say”. Even back then Alex had a wild stage presence running through the crowd like Tarzan, picking up a Girl, & carrying her to the stage on his shoulders. As the band’s popularity increased Alex & the band supported & backed artists such as Eddie Cochran & John Lee Hooker. The Soul Band crossed paths at one gig where their support act was an embryonic version of the Beatles called the Silver Beatles. The Big Soul Band may have crossed paths again with the Beatles as they had regular gigs in Hamburg, Germany at the Star Club & the Top 10 Club from 1962 – 1965. The band recorded a live album which was released on Polydor Records in 1964. The album contained a bunch of rock & roll standards including “Reeling & Rocking”, “Let the Good Times Roll”, “I Just Wanna Make Love to You”, & “Framed” (which became an important part of his stage show in the 1970’s). That same year Alex recorded a second album for polydor this time adding his 16 year old brother Les on guitar. Unfortunately neither record did anything on the charts but one of the albums sold 1200 copies in 10 days which was okay (especially for a club band) but Polydor never printed any additional copies (only the first pressing & once they were gone that was it)

51ulUwjsMhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Hamburg scene was beginning to die out & Alex was becoming frustrated with the music business. In 1966 Alex formed a short lived psychedelic band called Giant Moth which never amounted to anything. In 1967 Alex’s wife Trudy was pregnant with their first child & Alex needed work so he sang old standards in restaurants (kind of a lounge singer). A friend told Alex he had to check out this guy named Jimi Hendrix & after witnessing him Alex became rejuvenated. He ended up getting a regular gig for the next four years playing in the pit band for the musical ‘Hair’. During that time he went into the studio with members of the ‘Hair’ band & recorded his first solo album ‘Roman Wall Blues’. The album is a decent album & included songs such as the “Hammer Song” & “Midnight Moses” which later ended up being reworked for the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. The album also included a really cool different sounding version of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”. By 1972 Alex was done with the ‘Hair’ band & was once again in a rut. He formed a trio but before they really got started tragedy struck. Alex’s brother Les was playing guitar in Maggie Bell’s Stone the Crows & was electrocuted onstage & the news devastated Alex who never completely recovered.

RomanWallBlues_AlexHarvey.gif

Alex’s close friend, promoter Bill Fehilly, had seen star power in Alex if he could only find the right backing band. A friend of Fehilly’s was managing a band called Tear Gas who had great potential but despite having 2 albums which sold well over 5000 copies each the band was struggling financially. Tear Gas had opened for one of Alex’s band at one time & Tear Gas guitarist Zal Clemenson was not impressed with Alex or his guitar playing but was impressed with his charisma onstage. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band was born featuring Alex, guitarist Zal Clemenson, bassist Chris Glen, drummer Ted Mckenna, & Ted’s cousin Hugh Mckenna on keyboards. Tear Gas had a small but loyal following & their fans were not too happy with Alex at first. Alex was 15 years older than the other members & the band that was used to playing in the style of Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin was now also playing blues, jazz, country, cabaret, & old time standards. Alex wanted the band to appeal to teeny boppers & the serious music fan.

Sensational+Alex+Harvey+Band.jpg

Theatrics were to play a big part in S.A.H.B. Alex always wore a black & white striped shirt, Zal wore a green & yellow leotard & mime make-up(looking like a cross between Marcel Marceau & the Joker) & bassist Chris Glen had your typical long hair rock star look. In concert Alex would dress as a private investigator with a hat & grubby raincoat singing under a streetlight. He would also dress a street thug sporting slicked back hair & a leather jacket & he would spray paint on an imitation fake brick wall. During his classic showstopper “Framed” Alex would punch out a hole from behind the wall & crawl through it. He would put a lady’s stocking over his head & even bunch up the stockings, put them in his mouth & sing a verse or two sounding like Marlon Brando from the Godfather. One never knew what to expect from Alice live because on one occasion in Germany Alex performed “Framed” dressed as Hitler & another time while performing the song he dressed as Jesus Christ changing the lyrics to fit the character. He also dressed as a pirate, had scantily clad woman dance Cheek to Cheek with him onstage, & even brought a bagpipers band onstage with him.

S.A.H.B.released their first album ‘Framed’ in 1972. The record was recorded in 6 days & despite the quick recording the album came out great. It features the Heavy sounding “St. Anthony” & “Midnight Moses” (which is my favorite all-time Alex Harvey song). The title track is another great song as is the cool remake of “I Just Wanna Make Love to You” but the wildest song on the album & probably my favorite song title of all-time is the brilliant rag time/cabaret style of “There’s No Lights on the Christmas Tree Mother They’re Burning Big Louie Tonight”. Unfortunately despite successful touring the album sold poor.

Framed_AlexHarveyalbum.jpg

1973 brought the band’s next album…”Next” to the record store shelves & this is another solid rocker by the S.A.H.B. featuring the outstanding raunchy “Gangbang”. The title track ended up being another showstopper. “Next” was a tango/cabaret number written by Flemish singer/songwriter Jacques Brel. There is not a bad song on this record. “Faith Healer” became the opening song for their shows & is probably the strongest track on the album. The album rocks through “Swampsnake” & the remake of the 50’s classic “Giddy Up a Ding Dong”. “Vambo Marble Eyed” introduces us to a street punk/superhero named Vambo who became an important character on the next album & the final track on the record “Last of the Teenage Idols” is another incredible piece. Once again the album failed but did become a hit a couple of years later when Alex was at his height in popularity.

Next_AlexHarveyalbum.jpg

...MORE TO COME!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

joe

Reaction score
Re: Alex Harvey

Great Biography(so far).:grinthumb

I'm actually more of a Tear Gas fan than Alex Harvey owning both Tears Gas' s/t debut and Piggy Go Better on original vinyl. I do have Framed on vinyl and the compilation, Considering the Situation on CD.

Hell ya, Midnight Moses and St. Anthony are barn burners. Zal Clemenson showcases his great rockin' guitar on these two tracks.

Being a big fan of Stone the Crows I did know that Alex's younger brother did die on stage. I can't imagine. That was just after Stone the Crows released Teenage Licks, thier best album IMO. Though the band replaced him with Jimmy McCullough(later of The Wings) that incident was the beginning of the end for the Stone the Crows.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I saw a couple of albums by Alex's band the other day but didn't know much about him,,,until now that is.

First class introduction to one of your heroes Bucky, another feather in your cap.:clap:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Vambo Rules ! :cheers2

rtbuck

Reaction score

S.A.H.B. released the outstanding ‘Impossible Dream’ album in 1974 & after nearly 20 years in the music business Alex finally had a hit record in England reaching #16 on the UK charts. The album had an almost comic book theme to it including the cover. The first half of side one is the tale of his superhero, Vambo (who was introduced on the ‘Next’ album), in a 2 part epic titled “Hot City Symphony” featuring “Vambo” & “The Man in the Jar”. The album is strong all the way through especially with songs such as “The Tomahawk Kid” (a twisted tale of ‘Treasure Island’), “Long Hair Music”, the beautiful “Anthem”, & the amazing vaudeville/cabaret/canteen showstopper “Seargent Fury”. There is also a hilarious 40 second piece called “Hey” which is a lounge tune & Alex sings “I knew we had to say Goodbye…when I felt that warmth against my thigh…
Ha ha ha…Hey, is that you pissing on my Leg!” S.A.H.B. brought their tour to the USA but unfortunately only a few cities including Cleveland welcomed them with open arms.

51Y6JXE7DKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Six months after the release of ‘The Impossible Dream’ S.A.H.B.released ‘Tomorrow Belongs to Me’ which was S.A.H.B.’s only top 10 album in the UK. Although the album charted no hit singles it went over well with the fans. I’m a fan of the album but prefer the band’s first 3 releases although it does have some classic moments with tunes like “Action Strasse”, “Snake Bite”, “Give my Compliments to the Chef”, the epic “Tale of the Giant Stoneater”, & the title track which was a cover from the musical ‘Cabaret’. The band continued touring non-stop & now added a classic remake of the Tom Jones hit “Delilah” to their set in which Alex would play around with a mannequin while Zal & Chris did a bit of a 2 step dance routine. The tune started out as a fun number which ended up being another showstopper. The band recorded a live version of “Delilah” & it ended up scoring Alex Harvey’s first hit single reaching #7 on the UK charts. ‘S.A.H.B. Live’ followed the single & the album debuted at # 25 reaching up to #14. The album is great especially hearing the 11 minute version of “Framed” which gives you a great idea what went on at the show. The album was filled with great live versions of the S.A.H.B.’s Classic tunes including “Faith Healer”, “Vambo” “The Tomahawk Kid”, “Give My Compliments to the Chef”, & of course “Delilah”. ‘S.A.H.B. Live’ was their only album to chart in the USA.

61olSXqHb3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51Op0OV6yrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In 1976 S.A.H.B. was on top of the UK’s music world but turmoil was beginning to surface. Alex’s drinking was beginning to spin out of control & besides that he fell from a scaffolding rig & injured his back. Still the band was achieving success with their latest album ‘Penthouse Tapes’ which I love despite it being old b-sides & cover tunes. Side one begins with “I Wanna Have You Back” which is a rocker that would have fit in great on AC/DC’s ‘High Voltage’ album. “Jungle Jenny” is a rocking novelty song while the next song is a remake of Del Shannon’***** “Runaway”. The first side concludes with Two more cover songs that rock, Jethro Tull’s “Love Story” & Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out”. Side two was a real mish mash of sings featuring Leadbelly’s “Goodnight Irene”, the c & w “Say You’re Mine”, the drunk cowboy tune “Gamblin Bar Room Blues”, an incredible rocking cover of the Osmond Brothers’ “Crazy Horses”, & the album closes out with a beautiful live version of the Irving Berlin classic “Cheek to Cheek”.

ThePenthouseTapes_AlexHarveyalbum.jpg

...To Be Continued ...PS I wish there were more songs on youtube!

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score

This was [still is] a fine band. I was sad when he died. I think they were before their time. I have most of the albums. Very off the wall, and challenging to a lot of people. I always remember seeing them at the Reading rock festival, Alex, dressed as Jesus, with a HUGE polystyrene crucifix, breaking bits off, and throwing them into the crowd, singing 'framed'.

snowblue

Reaction score

Really enjoying the memories....thanks, rtbuck! :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online