Aerosmith sales up due to Tyler's American Idol gig!

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth:

STEVEN TYLER's 'American Idol' Gig Boosting AEROSMITH Sales - Jan. 28, 2011
According to Fox 411, Steven Tyler's appearance on "American Idol" as a judge for the show's tenth season has boosted sales of old AEROSMITH songs. The band's 1998 power ballad "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing" is currently No. 19 on Apple's iTunes Songs chart, and AEROSMITH's 1973 hit "Dream On" is No. 61. The Boston hard rockers' "Big Ones" collection" from 1994 is No. 25 on iTunes' Albums chart.

"So far, Steven Tyler has been a pretty striking presence on 'Idol'," says Richard Rushfield, author of "American Idol: The Untold Story". "He's a wild character, and he's pretty much pushed Simon Cowell out of people's minds in just two weeks."

Backing up comments made by Tyler, Billboard.com reported on Thursday (January 27) that most of the members of AEROSMITH are working on songs for a new album with co-writer Marti Frederiksen at a studio in Los Angeles. The only man missing is guitarist Joe Perry, who was unable to join his bandmates for the sessions due to what Billboard.com described as an "unspecified commitment."

The irony of the situation is rich since it was Perry who has expressed the most concern that work on a new AEROSMITH album would be delayed by Tyler's duties as a judge on "American Idol". But Tyler himself said on a recent conference call that the issue has been blown out of proportion: "We've certainly been writing," he said. "I know Joe's got some licks and I've got a bunch of songs that I've written, and we're into a writing program with the band, so...we're already booked for a tour, November/December, that should be South America and Japan. So, I mean, what you hear in the press about Aerosmith getting in the way of 'American Idol', it just isn't so."

Frederiksen told Billboard.com that the band and he have been "playing songs, putting together riffs, having fun, laughing and working from noon to 11 (p.m.) We're just digging in, man."

Tyler and his bandmates — guitarist Brad Whitford, bassist Tom Hamilton and drummer Joey Kramer — will continue working through February 2, when Tyler begins his live appearances as an "American Idol" judge.

Although a recent New York Post article indicated that AEROSMITH was "unable to work" due to Tyler's "American Idol" gig, Tyler's attorney Dina LaPolt responded, "Mr. Tyler's 'American Idol' contract was specifically negotiated to work around his AEROSMITH touring and recording schedule."

The new album will be AEROSMITH's first studio effort since 2004's "Honkin' On Bobo" covers set and first collection of all-new tunes since 2001's "Just Push Play".

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Tyler's no dummy. Other musicians were dogging him for joining the show, but why not pick up a good paycheck for judging musicians on tv and help boost your back catalog sales in the process? You ain't even gotta go into the studio or kill yourself on tour for 6 months and you're still making the same type of money.

Tyler hasn't stuck around this long because he's stupid. You know how many musicians would have been begging for that job if it were actually open for an audition instead of Tyler getting handpicked?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^If selling a few Aerosmith albums to new fans is the only thing Tyler accomplishes on Idol then I agree it was a smart business move.

Still has no impact on me at all, I won't watch a single episode this year.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
It's just like Dio said in that Jack Bruce slams Simon thread. As for me, I hope Tyler falls off the Idol stage like he did in Dakota--****ing shameless whore.

It doesn't make him different than 100 other "name" (popular) musicians who would give their right nut to be given a job as an Idol judge.

I hate the idea of Tyler being on there, too, but not because I consider him a sellout or whore.

To me, the more time he spends working tv, the less time he is in the studio writing or recording Aerosmith music, regardless of some recent press release saying he's working on material right now.

To put it in perspective, if it were still the 1970's, would anyone who was into Led Zeppelin want Robert Plant to throw away 6-8 months of his life to dive into a tv show and just put Led Zeppelin on hold until he was done with some tv show season?

Would anyone have wanted Paul Rodgers putting Bad Company on the backburner back in the 1970's to concentrate on something like the Gong Show or Star Search for a year or two of his life?

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
I

To me, the more time he spends working tv, the less time he is in the studio writing or recording Aerosmith music, regardless of some recent press release saying he's working on material right now.

Good point! Well I guess every cloud indeed has a silver lining...Because Aerosmith has definitely lost it. Their music since the early 80's is truly awful.

Steven Tyler can still go **** himself as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather he **** himself, than the producers of American Idiot like he's doing now. But , as you say, if it spares us another Aeropop album then maybe it's a good thing.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
It doesn't make him different than 100 other "name" (popular) musicians who would give their right nut to be given a job as an Idol judge.

I hate the idea of Tyler being on there, too, but not because I consider him a sellout or whore.

To put it in perspective, if it were still the 1970's, would anyone who was into Led Zeppelin want Robert Plant to throw away 6-8 months of his life to dive into a tv show and just put Led Zeppelin on hold until he was done with some tv show season?

Would anyone have wanted Paul Rodgers putting Bad Company on the backburner back in the 1970's to concentrate on something like the Gong Show or Star Search for a year or two of his life?

:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online