40 Bands not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
40 Bands not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Los Angeles Trends | Examiner.com

March 15th, 2011 5:33 pm PT

Year after year a handful of musicians get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, while dozens of equally-talented artists get snubbed. This year Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, and Neil Diamond were well-deserving choices, but it’s always hard for fans not to be upset about their favorite bands being left out -- and there are plenty of fans to be upset since the best bands not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame include these legends:

Rush

Kids today think Justin Bieber is the best thing to come out of Canada, oblivious to the awesomeness of this nerd rock band with hits like “Tom Sawyer.”

The Doobie Brothers

This swamp rock band with down-home hits like “Black Water” also is deserving of a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- some of their biggest fans back in the day were the Hells Angels, and they’re named after reefer. What’s more rock and roll than that?

Joe Cocker

How is this legend that performed at Woodstock not in the Hall of Fame? His performance of “With a Little Help From My Friends” is still chill-inducing to this day (an no rocker convulsed quite the way he did onstage).

Peter Frampton

And here’s another of the biggest names not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Frampton ruled the world back in the 70’s with his talk box and songs like “Baby, I Love Your Way” (here’s a bit of trivia: Peter and Lois reveal that this is their song on “Family Guy”).

Heart

The ladies deserve some love, too, especially since it was quite a bit harder for them to make it in the world of rock. And no one rocked harder than the band behind “Barracuda.”

Electric Light Orchestra

This symphonic, supersonic band lives up to their psychedelic name with songs like “Strange Magic.”

Foreigner

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is as “Cold as Ice” for neglecting this “Hot Blooded” band, and it’s “Urgent” that they get inducted ASAP.

Journey

Sure “Don’t Stop Believing” gets butchered a little too much at karaoke bars around the world, but there’s a reason it’s so beloved.

Steppenwolf

The band behind the song that will forever conjure images of the open road, freedom, and choppers is still being kept down by the man (that’s what happens when you’re “Born to be Wild”).

Steve Miller Band

Apparently “Joker,” “Take the Money and Run,” “Jungle Love,” and “Rock’n Me” just aren’t enough to get this Heartland rock band on the list.

KISS

Has a band ever marketed itself better?

Cheap Trick

They want the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to want them.

Deep Purple

These heavy metal innovators are responsible for one of every aspiring guitar player’s favorite riffs in “Smoke on the Water.”

Bad Company

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn’t see the guys behind one of the most romantic rock songs ever, “Feel Like Makin’ Love,” as good company.

The Cars

You can thank The Cars for bringing to mind an image of a topless Phoebe Cates every time “Moving in Stereo” plays.

Yes

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame keeps saying no to this progressive rock band behind “Owner of a Lonely Heart.”

The Moody Blues

This innovative band is responsible for the romantic song “Nights in White Satin” (maybe it’s a bit too romantic and moving for the Hall of Fame?).

Chicago

If one of the biggest hit makers in the world (“25 or 6 to 4,” “If You Leave Me Now,” “Saturday in the Park”) can’t make the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, then who can?

Joan Jett

Another of the biggest women in rock has shown her love for rock and roll, but she’s getting none in return from the Hall of Fame.

Jethro Tull

When you can seamlessly blend a flute with hard rock music (as in “Aqualung”), you definitely belong in the Hall of Fame.

The Cure

Come on! Robert Smith defeated Mecha-Streisand!

Warren Zevon

For gals that don’t care for shirtless werewolves who fight over sickly-looking human girls with angsty vampires, check out a song about real werewolves -- the kind that from London that eat Chinese food and mutilate little old ladies.

Beastie Boys

You gotta love the way these boys rock their ‘staches and ‘80s sunglasses in the “Sabotage” video, as well as how the joke that was “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)” went over every frat boy’s head. But they really deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame for combining rock and rap and being taken seriously.

Thin Lizzy

There would be no Metallica without Irish band Thin Lizzy and their “Whiskey in a Jar.”

Iron Maiden

Heavy metal bands with dark songs like “The Number of the Beast” aren’t getting much love from the Hall of Fame right now, but might in the future.

Todd Rundgren

Hello! Can’t this “Hello It’s Me” singer get a little love after inspiring so many to trade pencil pushing for banging on drums all day?

The Pogues

The band behind the best Christmas song ever definitely deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Johnny Ace

It doesn’t get more rock and roll than killing yourself during a game of Russian roulette. But Ace’s “Pledging my Love” is also as beautiful and romantic as a song can get.

George Thorogood and the Destroyers

The man behind one of the best bar bands ever needs to buy each of the powers that be responsible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer each while they listen to his entertaining tale.

Blue Oyster Cult

“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” is one of the darkest, most romantic love songs of all time, but it’s also got a guitar solo that the reaper himself could rock out to (however, it could always use more cowbell).

The Guess Who

American women everywhere should be outraged that this Canadian band isn’t in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Screamin’ Jay Hawkins

It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and he's a wild man, so bug off.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

This band recently became eligible, so it’s likely they’ll eventually get in.

Depeche Mode

How can you “Enjoy the Silence” with bands like this in the world?

Supertramp

It’s only logical that this band will get in the Hall of Fame some day.

Pantera

“Groove” metal deserves a little love in the Hall of Fame, and nobody shredded better than Dimebag Darrell (you gotta love that the Cowboys from Hell were guest musicians on “Spongebob Squarepants”).

Stevie Ray Vaughn

One of the best blues guitarists in the biz is another late, great musician from Texas deserving of a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Judas Priest

Never has “Breaking the Law” sounded like so much fun.

Three Dog Night

When you think “Joy to the World,” you should be thinking of this band’s song (and you better be listening to your mama when she tells you not to go to that party).

Hall and Oates

Has there ever been a more cheerful love song than “You Make My Dreams?” And has there been a sweeter ‘stache than Oates’ lady tickler?

Of course, just as the Hall of Fame has let so many musicians fall through the cracks, there are probably some missing on this list, but these forty bands are a good start.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
Wow! That list compared with some of the people that are in there proves what a sham that the R&R hall is. First they disrespect you for how long it takes to induct you and then induct you along with people either no one's heard of or are not rockers at all. It's a joke really. Rush isn't nerd rock. Since when does having intelligent lyrics and awesome chops equate to being nerdy?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Yep you nailed it Hardnecker it is a joke when you see Hip Hop artists inducted before the legends on TrekkieELO's list and why I only pause to bash the HOF rather than take it seriously.

TheHealer

Reaction score
The RnR HOF's history of dubious inductions and snubs has really taken away alot of the prestige that such an institution should, in theory, have.

That said, it is quite ridiculous that artists like Deep Purple, Rush, SRV, Heart, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden have not been selected for induction.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
The RnR HOF's history of dubious inductions and snubs has really taken away alot of the prestige that such an institution should, in theory, have.That said, it is quite ridiculous that artists like Deep Purple, Rush, SRV, Heart, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden have not been selected for induction.

Well put.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
^^Yep you nailed it Hardnecker it is a joke when you see Hip Hop artists inducted before the legends on TrekkieELO's list and why I only pause to bash the HOF rather than take it seriously.

Rap is not rock. Sure it may have elements from time to time, usually sampled, but it isn't rock. Madonna is in there. She's talented but she's no rocker. Don't get me started. I may say something stupid again, lol.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I don't really see why it matters who isn't in it, and who is in it. In my opinion, it's not the fame that matters with a band anyway, its the music. Honestly. If I were to be told that I would be put into a hall of fame like this, I would be happy, but I wouldn't think it was the end of the world if I wasn't included.

Also, these bands haven't been put in it yet, but that doesn't mean they never will.

TheHealer

Reaction score
I don't really see why it matters who isn't in it, and who is in it. In my opinion, it's not the fame that matters with a band anyway, its the music. Honestly. If I were to be told that I would be put into a hall of fame like this, I would be happy, but I wouldn't think it was the end of the world if I wasn't included.

Also, these bands haven't been put in it yet, but that doesn't mean they never will.

I think it does matter who is in and who is not.

I think it does matter that great artists like Deep Purple, Rush, Heart, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and other deserving artists continue to be snubbed by an institution that was supposedly created to honor the great music and legacy of artists in "Rock and Roll" history.

It is very insulting that the important musical contributions that so many of these artists have made continue to be ignored by the RnR HOF.

It is unacceptable that these artists are continually shown a complete lack of respect by a so called "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame".

It does matter and the RnR HOF should be criticized and called out on it.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I think it does matter who is in and who is not.

I think it does matter that great artists like Deep Purple, Rush, Heart, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and other deserving artists continue to be snubbed by an institution that was supposedly created to honor the great music and legacy of artists in "Rock and Roll" history.

It is very insulting that the important musical contributions that so many of these artists have made continue to be ignored by the RnR HOF.

It is unacceptable that these artists are continually shown a complete lack of respect by a so called "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame".

It does matter and the RnR HOF should be criticized and called out on it.

Be that as it may, my point i'm trying to get across is...regardless of if these bands are put into the Hall of Fame or not, that does not mean the music is bad. I'm not saying there are people here who do that, but some people will look at the hall of fame and say "oh, this band isn't there, their music must suck". I can understand that it would be great that the artist be put into the hall of fame because yes...as you said, these artists do in fact deserve it and should be in it, but when it boils down to it, it should be about listening to the music, and not putting a band on a pedistole (sp?) whether they deserve it or not.

And even so, the RnR Hall of Fame may be ignoring it, but the listeners of said artists are not ignoring it.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
The Pogues

The band behind the best Christmas song ever definitely deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame.
really? I could have sworn What Child is This? was written by William Chatterton Dix. *shrug* Who knew?

:tongue:

I kid. (well seriously do think that's the best Christmas song ever).

As for the list, it's a very good list and I agree with the majority of the artists listed. Quite of few of these omissions from the Rock Hall coupled with some of the artists that actually are in it, just prove that the place should be renamed from the RnR Hall of Fame to the RnR Hall of Sham. It's sad to see how some of these great and accomplished bands are still sitting on the back burner, while other far less deserving artists get in year after year.

The fact that it took 36 years for Black Sabbath to get in, the most influential heavy metal band in history of music, just emphasizes how piss poor of an organization it is on the whole.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online