30 Years From Now

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
If folk are still collecting in the future I wonder which albums from the 2000's people will consider classic rock gems in thirty years time. Which will be real collectors items, which will make most of the top lists etc.

I think there could be quite a few contenders. I'd put the Graveyard debut album forward to kick off with.

1z2p2q1.jpg

Great artwork and not a bad track on the album plus the band seem to have a strong following. I really rate their sound and they are a solid live outfit.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Good question, hard to say if what we listen to now will resonate even 10 years down the road let alone 30. :think:

I'll mull this one over before lobbing something out there Sox.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Nice question Sox

If you mean nothing before the year 2000, then there's a couple that immediately spring to mind for me, which I hope may still be getting raved about 30 years from now...

Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg

Springsteen_The_Rising.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I like OK Computer a lot more than Kid A but it's from '97 so doesn't make the cutoff.:hm:

Aero

Reaction score
The Killers - Hot Fuss

220px-Hot-Fuss.jpg

Very few good albums have come out in the last 10 years but this is one of them.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I definitely think there are several bands that will generate talk 30 years from now.

Radiohead
Tool
Coldplay
White Stripes

I am going to include Muse in the list. Black Holes and Revelations. Great album....and popularized even more with the Twilight sensation.

Black+Holes++Revelations+blackhole.png

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
No telling what will happen LG but it would be nice to think the music carries on. I guess there are quite a few facets involved : Band popularity is a big one, the likes of Radiohead, Jack White and Muse I think have carved a niche. An album by a band that contains stand out individuals before they get big can be collectable, an album that captures the mood or certain musical direction of the time, strange circumstances or death of an individual can make albums more collectable even a one off like say "Growers Of Mushroom" back in the 70's can become very sought after. I chose the 2000's as a point of reference TS but it's not set in stone we can be flexible I reckon.
Some really top choices posted already and there must be many more. I will have another think and put a few up I'd like to think will hold value in one way or another in years to come.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I would like to think there are many albums being picked up in many years to come, I think real music lovers will win over the mainstream stuff that is being released to the masses. Me myself have a number of albums I believe will be sought after and talked about in in droves.

The one I choose as Sox picked the Graveyard albums is of course

Hell-Human Remains

h?id=H.4832204479072744&w=144&h=145&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.jpg

More to follow:)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
If folk are still collecting in the future I wonder which albums from the 2000's people will consider classic rock gems in thirty years time. Which will be real collectors items, which will make most of the top lists etc

Thinking about this again, you're really talking about historic all time classic albums that are on a par with Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds, Highway 61 Revisited, Exile on Main St, Dark Side of the Moon...so I'm not even sure there has even been anything in the past 10-15 years on that level, groundbreaking albums that literally changed music. Including the two I mentioned, which are imo phenomenal, but they are not landmark releases. So I may have to think about it again, but my revised answer is no, none that I can think of.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Who's to say as even bands like Love in the 60's were sleepers before being touted as brilliant! :)

I'd say that these albums would make my prediction as having an enduring quality people will recognize and perhaps gain even more esteem as years go by and the dust settles:

City and Colour-Bring Me Your Love
68fd81ac4be018cdb20c057fca7a3f5b.jpg

Damien Rice-O
o2.jpg

Anberlin-Cities
cities.jpg

Fiona Apple-The Idler Wheel
fiona-apple_idler-wheel_COVER.jpg

Those are just a smattering for me! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads