21st century rock artists who would have been huge in the 70's

Khor1255

Reaction score
So a Heavy Metal guitarist from 2012 wouldn't blow the minds of someone in the 70's. The sounds would be new to them.
I think they might get some attention but remember, a lot of those sounds come from new hardware as well.
The point is, to really make it back then you usually had to have a little bit more going for you than the ability to 'shred'. A player who is a one trick pony can appeal to a certain audience but I don't think it would be a very big one back then especially if he couldn't play well live night after night.

Jantine

Reaction score
^^I think there are a few of the very best guitarists today that would make an impression even back in the 60's.

However, I do believe that artists from the 60's-90's were better live performers, without any gimmicks or gadgets like Lip syncing and the dreaded auto-tune. Back then if you weren't good live you never got noticed or signed to a contract, the era of corporate muzak had not arrived in force yet.

I have thought about about it some more and you're right. Someone mentioned in another thread Tom Morello. YouTubed him and he comes across as boring in my mind, yet is technically proficient. I he would struggle in a 70's world. I have changed my my mind, many would have difficulty breaking through.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I can't believe no one's said Grace Potter and the Nocturnals or that more people here aren't into them. They are what most people criticize bands for not being. They self produced albums and touring up to 200 shows a year. I saw them before their breakthough as they are a Vermont band which is right next door to me. I thought they put on a great show and that they are only better right now. Their 2012 album is in my top ten albums of the year out of a 100 or more I've listened for this year. They are bluesy, rootsy, soulful and rocking! You don't need to watch this whole clip to get the point. It starts out with one of my favorite tracks. These guys remind me a lot of a heavier Fleetwood Mac! :)

Aero

Reaction score
Possibly Nickelback would have been like the Eagles in that era. Maybe.

I think Nickelback would be a total joke in the 70s because unlike now, back then the masses actually had some musical taste.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I can't believe no one's said Grace Potter and the Nocturnals or that more people here aren't into them. They are what most people criticize bands for not being. They self produced albums and touring up to 200 shows a year. I saw them before their breakthough as they are a Vermont band which is right next door to me. I thought they put on a great show and that they are only better right now. Their 2012 album is in my top ten albums of the year out of a 100 or more I've listened for this year. They are bluesy, rootsy, soulful and rocking! You don't need to watch this whole clip to get the point. It starts out with one of my favorite tracks. These guys remind me a lot of a heavier Fleetwood Mac! :)

I wasn't into them when I got up this morning.

But I sure am now!

This is good stuff. I just downloaded about a dozen songs. Once I find a good copy of Tiny Light, I'll be burning a cd for the ride back and forth to work.

Oh, and what an awesome cover of Cortez The Killer!!

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I wasn't into them when I got up this morning.

But I sure am now!

This is good stuff. I just downloaded about a dozen songs. Once I find a good copy of Tiny Light, I'll be burning a cd for the ride back and forth to work.

Oh, and what an awesome cover of Cortez The Killer!!

Thanks a bunch!

Not a problem Vehicle! Thanks for giving it a chance! :cheers2

TB_

Reaction score
I think Nickelback would be a total joke in the 70s because unlike now, back then the masses actually had some musical taste.

Are they really that bad or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.