1979 Was Fine!

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Best music year ever! [I know - I'm sure it isn't, but i was 16 that year!]
After a quick refresher on Wikipedia, these were my go-to albums that year [I know, not all so cool and my taste has changed (a bit) since]:

Boomtown Rats - Fine Art of Surfacing (Someone's Lookin' at You, Diamond Smiles and Don't Like Mondays!!) [along with Rat Trap, the best run of four singles ever!! (IMO: please feel free to disagree)
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Queen - Live Killers
UFO - Strangers in the Night
- need I continue....?
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door (I still like it, even if it's not so highly rated by afficionados)
Rickie Lee Jones - wonderful album (a bit off-kilter with the rest)
Rainbow - Down to Earth (think Graham is a bit under-rated on this album [first concert - Rainbow at Deeside Ice rink, supported by Saxon]) [only saw the last two Saxon songs cos of the queue - but one was 747 (Strangers in the night)
R.E.O. Speedwagon - Nine Lives - tennis racket was well used 'playing' to this! Only the Strong Survive and Easy Money (loved the monket intro at full vol!) (quite liked Hi-Infidelity, but after that they got too wussy!)
Bad Company - Desolation Angels - totally cool!
Supertramp - Breakfast in America (sitting out on campsite in France listening to Goodbye Stranger, Van Halen - Running with the Devil & Beatles - Get Back on some Dutch kid's tape)
Gillan - Mr. Universe (dead heavy at the time, though with quieter moments, probably courtesy of Towns?)
Scorpions - Lovedrive (their best album; for me, they'd lost it by Blackout - tho i saw them on that tour and keep listening to them [in the hope!]). Then there was that cover to Animal Magnetism....!
Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes (hitching round France with this playing on a [heavy!] cassette player in rucksack [for me, his best, along with Southern accents]
ABBA - Greatest Hits II! - got to be honest!
Cheap Trick at Budokan - Clock Strikes 10!

Also in heavy rotation that year [though released earlier]: Mott the Hoople (Greatest Hits), The Doors, Rush - Hemispheres, Boston (first two albums), Springsteen - Born to Run, Eagles - Hotel California

Wish I'd have known then how good life was (then)!

Singles to follow - maybe too many!
I was just a little older. My last year of school.
Listened to most of mentioned albums in heavy rotation myself. Man, I'd forgotten about Ricki Lee Jones. What a great debut.
The new releases for that year weren't that great. Too much punk and new wave and dance cr@p.

darklands

everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet
Reaction score
es%2Fprods%2Fvinylnet_nightout_1494135070dsc_07403.jpg

Ellen Foley - Nightout - how could i forget this?!!

darklands

Reaction score
Patrick Hernandez - Born to be Alive:
Remember being on the dance floor in the Cheshire Cat 'night club' (disco) in Nantwich, Cheshire, watching my mate singing along to this - and throwing up every time he sang "Born"!!
Great song! First heard it on German exchange trip - which had it's moments....

darklands

Reaction score
Hey! - just found the 'edit' feature - very useful (after a bottle of wine!)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online