1 Hit Wonders Of The 80's

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Aha single-handedly killed this thread. :D

I would add Falco to this list. He was famous way before "Amadeus" with songs like "Der Kommissar" and remaind successful with hits like "Jeanny", all in the 80s not to mention his later success.

Classic one hit wonders are bands like Europe with "The Final Countdown" and Vanilla Ice (in the non-rock department).

Agreed with almost all of that, except Europe had four hits in the US alone, three of which were in the top 40, from 1986 to 1987.

Remember the power ballad "Carrie"? :)

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I've always said these "lists" are totally American-centric.

When VH1 Classic was doing a 1 Hit Wonders show, it was filled with all the names mentioned here, but those bands did really well in their home countries with lots of hits.

Though, it's always been the case if you make it in the U.S., you've really made it.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
A true "blast from the past"----Wall of Voodoo's tongue-in-cheek novelty rock classic "Mexican Radio".Finely produced and just plain fun.Also from the novelty department,I offer up the Vapors' "Turning Japanese",which has recently resurfaced in a TV commercial......................

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Here are three more One Hit Wonders of sorts. I don't know their chart positions when they were released, but they all got plenty of airplay on the New Wave station out here in Los Angeles. These might not be National One Hit Wonders as heard on Kasey Kasem's Hot 100 on Sunday morning as much as local One Hit Wonders, but they are classics IRregardless. If Mr. Dobolina checks in, he'll tell you.

kroq5.jpg

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online