Your Top 10 Classical Composers

Khor1255

Reaction score
If anyone is being unfair it's Khor1255 with his arrogant and sarcastic remarks. There are composers and works I don't particularly care for, but I don't denigrate them on public forums. These are the kind of people who mocked Stravinsky's Rite a century ago. History has proven their attitudes reactionary and shortsighted.
So, now it's unfair to have an opinion about music?

Here's a clue: they write that stuff to be provocative. Sometimes the reaction is negative. Life goes on. If you like it than great - good for you. I wish I could love every bit of sound someone tries to call music but when I see clear self indulgence I have to call it what it is.

Sometimes this self indulgence is actually good stuff to me but in those cases, not so much.

StarThrower

Reaction score
I didn't say it was unfair to have an opinion about a piece of music. But it is unfair to make assumptions concerning the composer's motives.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Self indulgence does not overtly imply a motive. For instence, you might write a piece as an excercise (sort of practice) or to throw it against an audience to see if it 'sticks' etc. Both are fairly valid reasons but they have little regard for the listener.

MaryGreen

Reaction score
Top 10 classical composers as for me are:
Ludwig van Beethoven
Gabriel Faure
Alfred Schnittke
Claude Debussy
Antonio Vivaldi
Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky
Johannes Brahms
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Jean Sibelius
Johann Sebastian Bach

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Hard to pick just 10

Vivaldi
Mozart
Beethoven
Holst
Bartok
Debussy
Dvorak
Haydn
Sor
Telemann

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hard to pick just 10

Vivaldi
Mozart
Beethoven
Holst
Bartok
Debussy
Dvorak
Haydn
Sor
Telemann

Pretty diverse list AK...not familiar with Sor though, is he modern/baroque/romantic....??

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Pretty diverse list AK...not familiar with Sor though, is he modern/baroque/romantic....??

Fernando Sor was early romantic period. He revitalized the guitar in classical music. He was considered the best guitarist of the entire classical period and was the building blocks of the modern guitarist. I'm a big fan of classical guitar and all modern classical guitarist play Sor's works.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online