Your own mental musical equations/connections?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
chua2scroll1.jpg

Whether they be logical or just some sort of link your brain makes what are some songs or artist you seem to tie in together mentally? Sometimes it's just a matter of two songs having a similar feel AND being released around the same time BUT sometimes it's something that only your ear hears that links them together and reminds you of the other. Have fun with this and see who can make the same connections. Don't be afraid to put your most random, quirky observations and personal connections! :grinthumb

My first connection and the one that inspired the thread is after cracking open my Mazzy Star c.d. I always intrinsically think of the Frente song when I think of the Mazzy Star-Fade Into Single. I think perhaps it might have to do with how close they came out together or at least how closely I heard them together. Anyway, one's far more brooding and layered then the other but they both have this starkness and simple female vocal delivery that I connect
with the other! :D
Mazzy Star-Fade Into You & Frente-Bizarre Love Triangle

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Always found a similar tie between Uriah Heep and Three Dog Night.

Now one is rock and roll and one is hard rock/metal...well I guess they are both hard rock somewhat, but Three Dog Night is a little bit more laid back of the two.

HOWEVER..I will ALWAYS hear the similarity between these two bands....vocally, musically...even down to the Hammond Organ sound...the vibrato control and tone of the vocals.

It's almost as if Three Dog Night was a mellow version of Uriah Heep and Uriah Heep was a heavier version of Three Dog Night.

Just my opinion and just my ears. I also LOVE both bands a LOT!!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Ooh interesting topic. I have a million of these. Here's one that I think is a pretty solid comparison, though it should be unsurprising that I hear Neil Young in everything I listen to. Both of these songs have that kind jangling, meandering headiness. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an intentional allusion to Neil on the Pixies' part.

CSNY -- Country Girl <> The Pixies -- Silver
-->

Khor1255

Reaction score
This is a cool topic. I have a lot of these but sadly by beer addled brain is just comming up with the obvious connection between The Weapon by Rush and Superstition by Stevie Wonder.
Now, it's subtle if you haven't really payed attention to the musical nuances in the instrumental parts of these songs but the climax of both leads have virtually the exact same movement. If I could I would ask Alex if he did this intentionally (I'm pretty sure he did since in part 3 of the Fear Trilogy [Witch Hunt] they focus on superstition and prejudice being the root of social fear) but it's a great musical cliche I only started getting about 15 years ago.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I seriously can hear all these connections guys!
Power of suggestion or not it's really cool! Keep 'em going! :cheers2

I don't think I'm alone in connecting these too bands and their hits and thinking of them as almost synonymous for the other! Once again timing and enough of a similar vibe to be tied into to each other! :D Hell, even the names have the same structure! :heheh:

Republica-Ready To Go & Elastica-Connection

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Thin Lizzy "Opium Trail"

Rush "A Passage To Bangkok"

The subject matter obviously (tongue in cheek or not as the case may be) and the imagery the lyrics evoke. I can't play one without the other springing to mind.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliebell

Staff online

Members online