6362529-award-winning-golden-disc-record-with-drop-shadow.jpg
Your Holy Grail

holy_grail_660.jpg
OF
Album Purchases

In whatever format what are those albums whether it be vinyl that you've wanted for the longest time but had a long journey getting whether it be price range or difficulty in obtaining due to it becoming a rarity! Personally I've got every major purchase I've wanted since college this past year and while I have plenty of music I want to buy I have no milestones left at this point! I feel accomplished and happy but in some ways it always felt cool having that one last album to reach for! The first three rarities I ever bought that broke my purchase threshold were in college (with a college budget at that) when all I bought almost everything associated with the New Radicals including two Gregg Alexander solos that were out of print and a Danielle Brisebois as well who had worked with Gregg on both the New Radicals and on her solo albums. The three recent albums I knocked off of the top of my bucket list were these three. Keep in mind my idea of a good purchase isn't as finicky as a brand new unopened copy as long as it's in good condition. :)

Tori Amos-The Bootleg Collection
e539cb71112937557352614588c31761.jpg

The first one I knocked off of my list and the one I was the second hungriest for before buying it. Tori is my second favorite music artist of all time and I've bought every Tori album, EP, Single, Remix Single and Box set I could muster and think I havea near perfect collection honestly. I have more of her albums than any other artist even including The Pumpkins which includes the solo projects from SP members as well. It helps that Tori's consistently put out a body of work with no real breaks. Anyway, this was about real bad timing. It came out as a limited release when I was fresh out of college and more concentrated on finding a steady job and getting a place. I saw it in the store once and I still didn't have my own computer at that point so I was unaware of all the details behind it's limited nature. I just knew it wasn't going to be there forever. I knew it was awesome with 12 disc and a lot of covers that weren't released in any form prior. The choices of covers were very unique and each disc had an interesting variation setlist wise. Any fan would want this!

I decided it wasn't wise at that point to plop down between $200-$300 at the time and I never saw it again aside from online purchases. I really wanted it and would check all the stores I went to just in case there was a drought of Tori fans and they were trying to sell that one last copy. Who'd of thought NH had avid Tori Fans. The set went up to $300 and beyond online and that's a hard chunk of change and there's always a reservation to buy from individual sellers. Finally I found an Amazon seller selling the closest I've seen to the original price and while it was opened and used they gave details about the superb condition. I've been in a great financial state the past year so I took the gamble. It paid off and the condition was great even having the original collectors components like the stickers :tongue: that'll never come into play but still make for a proud complete purchase! :)

Danielle Brisebois-Portable Life
511A6YbM9FL.jpg

This is perhaps the one I'm most happy with finally getting. When Napster came out it was my first time using the internet for discovery and finding that unraveling six degrees of.... with music artist. New Radicals produced my favorite pop album ever while in High School. That album still holds that milestone to this day. Now with band members I was keen in finding the individual counterparts but with pop artist I had never developed that need for identity. My knowledge for everything New Radicals grew. When they broke up that same year I discovered that album in High School I was more bummed out than when any other artist retired or Hell even died. Still that sting has not been matched.

So after exploring I found out the singer I was hearing did nearly everything on that album and I was really a fan of Gregg Alexander himself as much as the project he dubbed The New Radicals. After exploring tracks through Napster I discovered this artist had two solo efforts overseas. I loved the material and you could see the insane bubbling of eccentricity and unique audio stamp that would make it onto the future New Radicals album. In a lot of ways those albums were rawer, darker and sexier in nature. So looking at Gregg Alexander I found an amazing duet with an artist named Danielle Brisebois. The duet, Promise Tomorrow Tonight, was an adorable yet sassy ballad between two lovers. It was a perfect pop song. It turns out that Danielle was the voice behind the female vocals on the New Radicals album and that the the song was on an album of hers. Gregg Alexander who was involved with her worked on her album, Arrive All Over You. It had Greggs stamp on it but a female vocal especially with Danielle's sass and bite was the perfect stamp for Gregg's brand of sound. The album was a precursor to Alanis's angry girl sound but stayed true to it's pop sound.

I made a three album run after creating an E-Bay just for the occasion buying Gregg Alexander-Intoxfornication one month and then his album "Michigan Rain" which for between 40-50 bucks a pop even had overlapping songs. I didn't care though. They were great! So the last one I made was Danielle Brisebois-Arrive All Over You which was in the same price range. I loved it but there was still one loose end. Danielle had a fully created album that never saw the light of day exceeeeept for some promo copies. It angered me because it was an even better album IMO. It has one of my top three songs by her, "I've Had It" and not a clunker of bad pop on the album. To buy the other albums I had to stretch it out over months to afford them. No way I could afford nearly $300 bucks for an album. I was hoping for the cult following I was seeing to finally get this album an official release by ANY label. Until then I downloaded tracks and the full album multiple times from disc to finally my I-pod. About five years ago Danielle had a compilation type album released which I bought and a digital version of "Portable Life". That's not what I wanted at all.

Portable Life was an album I checked online every chance I got and in used c.d. bins. Finally I shelled out $60 bucks for a good copy and I love it. It doesn't even have a booklet but it looks and sounds like a treasure! It felt like a victory! :)

Y Kant Tori Read
ta_yktr.jpg

It's funny that the last piece to my Tori puzzle is her first album. I've wanted this one since college as well and while a lot of it is 80's cheese there are some great tracks that have plenty of Tori in them. It's a great collectors item and great for Tori fans to hear the genesis of her transition from big poofy haired rock to the sage for all thought provoking piano chanteuses. I just got this two days ago for a steal of $30. It's in great condition and may not be the original release. I don't care though. It's rerelease extras have some vintage early Tori material so it's even better. It's rare enough that only being sold among the individual sellers!

These are all albums I will keep until death. I won't baby them. I have no interest in the money they are or will be worth. I will play the shit out of them and I'm ****ing stoked to have them within my grasp! :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I can mention a CD I will go with Within Temptation Enter. This album was ridiculously hard to find and every place I looked online the album was worth almost 80-100 bucks. My friend knows someone who can import music and was fortunate enough to get me a copy of this album for 40 bucks. I don't use the CD, I consider it a rare find and one I am happy to have.
WT_-_Enter_albumcover.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
If I can mention a CD I will go with Within Temptation Enter. This album was ridiculously hard to find and every place I looked online the album was worth almost 80-100 bucks. My friend knows someone who can import music and was fortunate enough to get me a copy of this album for 40 bucks. I don't use the CD, I consider it a rare find and one I am happy to have.
WT_-_Enter_albumcover.jpg

That's a good deal you got man! I can't do the not touching thing myself. I treat them like the rest of my collection and shelve then and use them in there original form. I'm not a collector for profit so even though they are pricier I just try to be careful with them like anything but I've got to use them after waiting so long to do that. :)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I made my mind up a few years ago to try and get a hold of every recording by Van Morrison, which at the time was around 35 albums, and I could never get 'Irish Heartbeat'...the record he made with The Chieftains. No store had it, and even on line Amazon had it, but only for a totally ridiculous price, eventually I found a copy on EBay for around $25 and I grabbed it, so my Van Morrison collection was complete, but it took me forever. That was the toughest album to get that I have ever really struggled with.

619vwL5sRNL.jpg

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have a few holy grails as far as CD's go, pictures to follow as I'm on my mobile, great thread by the way S & S:)

Trouble - Trouble

2679022.jpg

Trouble - Manic Frustration

Trouble_-_Manic_Frustration.jpg

Ozric Tentacles - Box set

41LmnlZHhIL.jpg

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
1.jpgSmile

The Beach Boys

Capitol Records T-9002 Stereo ( 1967 Brothers Records )Lp. This is the three LP vinyl Smile bootleg. I believe it is the basis for the two CD VigOtone bootleg, but I may be wrong. Complete with session worksheet notes; and a full, color poster of the "SMILE" lp. cover. The sound is that of the original master with no hiss or noise between cuts. Red Vinyl--Side A: ( total time 20:04 ) "SMILE"
Heroes And Villians ( 7:10 )
Do You Like Worms ( 3:53 )
Medley: The Old Master Painter/ You Are My Sunshine ( 1:06 )
Child Is Father Of The Man ( 1:52 )
Prayer ( 1:05 )
Cabin Essence ( 2:28 )
Side B: ( total time 19:43 ) "SMILE"
Good Vibrations ( 3:28 )
Vegetables ( 3:27 )
Wind Chimes ( 2:17 )
Mrs. O'Leary'S Cow ( 2:03 )
Cool Cool Water ( 2:55 )
Surf's Up ( 5:11 )
Blue Vinyl--side C ( total time 22:39 ) "BAG O' TRICKS"
Prayer ( 4:55 )
Love To Say Da Da ( 1:26 )
She's Going Bald ( :54 )
With Me Tonight ( :55 )
Child Is Father Of The Man ( 1:42 )
You're Welcome ( 2:49 )
Heros And Villians ( :50 )
Heros And Villians ( :48 )
Do you Like Worms ( 3:43 )
Do You Like Worms ( 3:35 )
side D ( total time 23:50 ) "BAG O' TRICKS"
Good Vibrations ( 3:55 )
Good Vibrations ( 3:52 )
Cabin Essence ( 4:04 )
Surf's Up ( 3:00 )
Tones/Tune X ( 3:00 )
Tones/Tune X ( 2:19 )
Green Vinyl--side E ( 22:54 ) "BAG O' TRICKS"
Medley: The Old Master Painter/ You are My Sunshine ( 1:05 )
George Fell Into His French Horn ( 9:02 )
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow ( 2:12 )
Mrs. O'Leary"s Cow ( 1:35 )
Barnyard ( :57 )
Woodshop Song ( 2:36 )
Holidays ( 2:36 )
Prayer ( 1:00 )
side F: ( total time 24:00 ) "SMILE"
Brian's Smile Session Party ( 24:00 )

It's currently worth about $600.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a good deal you got man! I can't do the not touching thing myself. I treat them like the rest of my collection and shelve then and use them in there original form. I'm not a collector for profit so even though they are pricier I just try to be careful with them like anything but I've got to use them after waiting so long to do that. :)

Just had a similar deal with a really rare Epica album, it was said to be out of print like this Enter album, but got it for 22 dollars. :D Can't wait to get it in, it is a valid point you make about the collector for profit, I usually am not either but for some reason I just choose not to use the CD, I had downloaded the album previously so it gave me extra reason not to use the disc. lol

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I have a few Grails Soot a couple that spring to mind are "Electric Ladyland" double vinyl with the UK cover on Polydor. I bought it for about a fiver as a young teen and though it's the later reissue I have still been offered a good price for it. Another is a Hawkwind CD "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" on Dojo a nice little collectable. Quite a few of my older albums are 70's issue heavy vinyl, gatefold and those are well worth putting to one side. :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
When finishing my YES collection I held out for this one for the longest time. There were always more titles I needed to get and I knew one day I would find this used.

I have many complete catalogs by many artists and it always feels good to get that LAST one you needed.

This one...was a LONG hold out. :heheh:

ab9212bb9da0dcd2f754c010.L.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online