Yes (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
So as a side note and just for fun here....how many listens to Topographic Oceans did it take for all the YES fans here to listen to, ya know before getting comfy with it...I would say I was about 10 before I was REALLY starting to get to know it.

It has to be the trickiest album in their collection :grinthumb

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I didn't like Topographic Oceans at first and stopped listening to the album. I came back to it twenty years later and loved it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I can see that. It's one that has to grow on you! Intrested in hearing how long it took others. :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I actually found Close To The Edge harder to get into at first, but now is my favourite along with Fragile and The Yes Album. Since I started getting into prog I found that I haven't had much problem listening to long songs and albums, so Topographic I was dazzled by on my first listen! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
So as a side note and just for fun here....how many listens to Topographic Oceans did it take for all the YES fans here to listen to, ya know before getting comfy with it...I would say I was about 10 before I was REALLY starting to get to know it.

It has to be the trickiest album in their collection :grinthumb

I'm certain that this is The Album that critics of prog love to hold up to demonstrate the excesses of the genre, back when it came out it divided everyone, the fans, the media and the band. Rick Wakeman was so angry he quit after the support tour.

I can't say how many listens it took me to embrace "...Oceans", but most likely a half dozen at least before deciding it's merits outweighed it's excesses.

It will never be in my top 5 Yes albums, but it's solidly entrenched in the middle of their pantheon...somewhere.;)

smerdojajeczny

Reaction score
I remember the first time I heard The Remembering (High the Memory) ... great song .. the whole album Tales From Topographic Ocean is quite a bit experimental ... innovative in its expression, but it can not be forgotten .. for me it is the best album Yes, maybe because I listen to a lot of free jazz. And remember Anderson Olias of Sunhillow? ...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I really like "Olias of Sunhillow" Smerdojajeczny, one of the best solo albums any member of Yes put out.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love the cover of that album too Smerdojajeczny.

oliasjpg.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online

No members online now.