Yes (Official Thread)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: The Yes Thread

I like Tormato better than Going For the One, which puts me at odds with most Yes fans. I think that album showcases Chris Squire at his best, I just love his bass guitar on that record. Then I saw the tour the year that album came out so it all comes together for me.

I listened to a digital copy of Tormato last night and was surprised at how much I actually liked it. I think one the of reasons I wasn't appreciating it much
on my earlier listens was the vinyl copy I have is a bit worn and dull sounding.
It sounds so much better when you can hear everything that is going on.
I'm going to listen to their first two releases again to reevaluate my list.

I'm afraid I can't say much for my 90125 revisited experience however.
Still not a fan of that one.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

One of the best bands for slapping on the headphones to listen IMO. So much going on.

"Sound Chaser"

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^The first time I discovered Yes was at my girlfriends house in grade 9 I think it was. I had heard Roundabout the radio edit version but she had three of their records. She told me she loved them because "They are such a busy band, all kind of things going on if you really listen closely"...she was a musician as well piano and flute in the school band. That began my interest in them all those decades ago.

One of the highlights of my concert career was seeing them tour the year after Tormato was released. Rick Wakeman had about 6 empty Heineken bottles scattered around his keyboards by the end of the 3 hour plus set, no warm up band either just a total immersion in Yes.:bow:

joe

Reaction score

Ironically I've listened to Going For The One a couple of times over the last couple of days. I would say it's been at least 10 years since I gave it a spin. I forgot just how good of a album it is. Tormato was my least favourite album from the Yes "classic" period. Again, it's been years since I've listened to it. So it is quite possible when I do listen to it today my thoughts may well change.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Most Yes fans cringe when I say I like that album Joe, but I still do it is simply a great showcase for Chris Squire's bass guitar and I am a bass guitar freak and he is my favorite rock bassist of all time.

I'll play Going....later or tomorrow, been a long time since I gave it a spin myself.

joe

Reaction score

LG, I have to admit I have given Tormato only a 2-star/5-star rating. With that being said, I have only rated Going For The One 2 1/2 stars but after listening to it over the past couple of days I have bumped it up to 3 1/2 stars, almost pushing to 4 stars. I'll let you know what I think, as it's been just as long since I've listened to Tormato as Going For The One. Time does change perspectives.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I really like the Tormato album every track but "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom" is top dollar IMO.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

^^Most Yes fans cringe when I say I like that album Joe, but I still do it is simply a great showcase for Chris Squire's bass guitar and I am a bass guitar freak and he is my favorite rock bassist of all time.

I'll play Going....later or tomorrow, been a long time since I gave it a spin myself.

Chris Squire is an amazing bassist LG. He is probably the first player that made me just absolutely fall in love with the instrument and pick it up and start to play. He is as big an influence on me as anyone although I generally will leave him off my influences list due to the fact that stylishly my playing is completely different .

@ Sox ,On The Silent Wings Of Freedom is such a great song. I have really gotten into the Tormato album after giving it a second chance. I really can not see what I disliked about it anymore.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I went along with my older brother to see Yes and when we came out he was raving about Chris Squire, he couldn't get over how good he was that night.

DKWolf I have done the same thing with a few albums I think my tastes must waver with time and I catch things I missed before and then the album sort of becomes a grower.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online