Would you give up digital and go back to vinyl music?

Would you give up Digital music and go back to Analog formats?

• Total voters

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
I would maybe give up digital. I have iPod and I listen to it quite often, but the only thing with music that I'm investing my money in are vinyls. To me, it sounds better and there's nothing like make nice atmosphere in my bedroom, fire up some incense sticks, put on some good vinyl and draw/paint. I just love vinyls. I don't give a damn about bands scoring more money when every concert is above 50 dollars, I don't see them living a hard life. Digital era gave a chance to those underground bands to get more famous through internet, but however there's inflation (?) in bands and nowadays everyone can make their own myspace channel and get heared, back in the day you should really be good to get heared.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^There is both good and bad as you say DZ. The internet provides possibilities none of the bands from the old days could have dreamed of, but at the expense of giving away their music instead of selling vinyl like I grew up with.

Many established bands have made the transition, accepting the reality that concert tours are the biggest revenue generating part of their business, and their albums secondary. It was the opposite when I grew up, tickets to concerts were cheap and the bands toured constantly to sell albums.

Incense, vinyl and your art supplies, all that's missing would be a blacklight and you'd fit right in the '60's...:D

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
If I only was 40 years back and go to a record shop looking for tons, tons of LPs to buy... with interest on music like I do have now my collection would be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You'd need a closet the size of your bedroom to hold them all Nolo...:heheh:

That was the biggest thing with vinyl, it required tons of space to store, and moving them around was a pain in the butt as well. But I miss my old records, so many you can't buy now even on e-bay I gave up on that years ago.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I wouldn't care about space, having satisfaction from having something that can be impossible (literally) to get in few decades is priceless. Unfortunately I have that difficulty.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
An old friend of mine had over 10,000 vinyl albums. He had rows of massive steel shelves set up to hold them all. His wife hated the space they took up, but his stereo and music collection were not negotiable, so she could do whatever she wanted with the living room as long as his basement music room was left for his treasures.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
That's nothing comparing to this guy...

I want his collection soooo badly.... :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is overkill, you get to the point you can't even Play them all. Actually you are in the most satisfying time as far as collecting goes, it's always the most fun early on. You can play all your treasures and revisit them whenever you want, as your library grows you simply can't listen to them all. As a result many just take up space, and I for one Play my albums, that is what they are for.

I will add that even some mediocre albums with great cover art are worth keeping for that reason alone.;)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
^^ That's what collection is, it's like collecting stamps. You get to the point when collection is quite big, someone says "I can't find this album anywhere" and then you come up with CD/LP and watch a big :omg: on a face.

I'm still too young though to be a proper collector, I would need to get house and job first, depending maybe transport as well to visit various big cities like Birmingham or Liverpool. I will be buying both formats, I won't be able to play vinyls in a car or at work.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimManess3

Staff online

Members online