Would you give up digital and go back to vinyl music?

Would you give up Digital music and go back to Analog formats?

• Total voters

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I agree about 8-tracks TM, but I have some excellent cassettes I have made myself from mint vinyl albums that are HQ.

I rarely listen to music on my PC, I have 3 separate sound systems for that...although I will on occasion load an MP3 - 320kbs on my USB drive and play that for evaluation of a band someone posts in the forum...if I like them I will get their CD's eventually. That part of the digital era is great and a lot of fun to play with too.:D

Have to amend my post a little, this PC I did move into my den, and bought a good sound card for it and hooked it up to my 7.1 system, the video card has no fan so this computer is quiet which is important to me. Anyway I now do play some music using this machine when I am visiting the forum and it sounds pretty good to me.:D

Dreams

Reaction score
I don't own any vinyl. In the 70s I bought some vinyl and then upgraded to cassettes. When CDs came out I promptly upgraded again. I'm not a nostalgic collector when it comes to technology...so when new tech comes out that requires a new format to play my music then I'll buy it. I also own over 2000 CDs that I've ripped to flac. They can be converted into any current format I wish in a matter of minutes...so I don't see the advantage in owning or purchasing vinyl.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I love my FLAC Dreams, I have ripped my library and have them all on a 2 TB HD now, it's nice to have back up copies in case something happens to my CD's.

flac_lossless_audio_logo.gif

^^That or APE are the only formats Apple or Amazon should sell songs in, as Dreams mentioned you can convert them to any format you like either lossless without losing file integrity or to a lossy format for your portable player.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I'm not a nostalgic collector when it comes to technology...so I don't see the advantage in owning or purchasing vinyl.

I'm not nostalgic in any way for vinyl, unless you count the fact that my aging eyes have a harder and harder time with the tiny packaging of CDs and SACDs. The only reason I love vinyl is because the very best sound I've ever heard has consistently been on vinyl, whether from my own collection played on my own system, or other, much more expensive systems I've heard demo'd.

Please don't get me wrong. I have a lot of great-sounding digital, and when they manage to get the sound right, I love it for its sound, its durability and its convenience. But in most cases, when I have both digital and analog versions of the same recording, the analog sounds more real to me (this is particularly true of any CD mastered and produced before about 1990). And the absolute, very best-sounding recordings of any kind that are in my library are all analog. Is it a pain in the ass to take care of, and to play? Absolutely. Is it fragile and subject to all kinds of QC manufacturing issues? No question. Is it worth the trouble? Without a doubt, IMO.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There was a gathering of vinyl collectors in the city last weekend to celebrate "Record Day". About 20+ serious collectors and stores put out a lot of good old vinyl for people to look over, although the extremely rare and collectible albums they would show off but never part with...:heheh:

According to industry figures while CD's sales are dropping, vinyl has actually gone up, but not nearly enough to herald a return to the glory days of collecting. Still it does give me some hope that if enough young people do start enjoying collecting music rather than just downloading that the labels will continue to offer vinyl for the foreseeable future.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Id like to collect some vinyl of some of my favourite bands, I dont use record players but it would be neat as a music fan to have a copy of the original quality.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would love to replace about 50 of my old vinyl albums with new copies Riff, the ones that never made the transfer to digital properly, the old LP's sounded so much better I rarely play my CD versions.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I would pick up some vinyl records for collecting purposes. I already collect CD's, so it'd be no different and it'd just be fun to have.

As for going back to vinyl, since i've never really had the experience of listening to vinyl albums as much as a lot of people have, I would switch from digital to vinyl, just to see what it was like. Though, I prefer digital in most if not all cases, because I love being able to carry my music around wherever I go.

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score
There was a gathering of vinyl collectors in the city last weekend to celebrate "Record Day". About 20+ serious collectors and stores put out a lot of good old vinyl for people to look over, although the extremely rare and collectible albums they would show off but never part with...:heheh:

According to industry figures while CD's sales are dropping, vinyl has actually gone up, but not nearly enough to herald a return to the glory days of collecting. Still it does give me some hope that if enough young people do start enjoying collecting music rather than just downloading that the labels will continue to offer vinyl for the foreseeable future.
Ahh yes, Record Store Day.
I first heard about this last year for RSD '10, and borrowed my parents money to buy some exclusive vinyl around several stores. This year, now that I have a job and can make my own paycheck, I started the day with NO money whatsoever...so I called my boss and apparently I had two checks waiting for me in the office, so I hopped on my bike and sped down there. I came all the way across town, back near my mothers house to go to the bank and take care of the checks. One was for $15 which I put in my savings account. The other was for $100 which I IMMEDIATELY put on my debit card. I rode my bike all the way back to the nearest record stores, which coincidentally was all the way back by my work office, and my fathers house. :mad
So I went to all three stores, and ended up spending all $100. But when I hopped on my bike after leaving the final store after spending the last of my hard-earned money, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it started raining. It was a loooong trip home, but well worth it. I'll probably post what I ended up getting on RSD on my blog in the near future.

:)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Post your new additions in the "New CD..." thread Jimmy, I am curious to check out your plunder.:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimManess3

Staff online