Witchfynde

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Witchfynde are a heavy metal band that was one of the forerunners of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Witchfynde was formed in Mansfield, England in 1974 by bass guitarist Richard Blower and vocalist Neil Harvey. Richard Blower discovered Montalo (Trevor Taylor) whilst in a band called Atiofel. When Richard left the band in 1975, they reformed Witchfynde with lead guitarist Montalo, bassist Andro Coulton, and drummer Gra Scoresby, soon recruiting vocalist Steve Bridges. The band released their first single, "Give 'Em Hell" in 1979 and released its first full-length album, also entitled Give 'Em Hell, on Rondolet Records in 1980. A major attribute to success may have originated with the frequent air play on the Friday Night Rock Show, hosted by Tommy Vance on BBC Radio 1. The band gained some exposure by touring the United Kingdom with Def Leppard in the summer of 1980. The band's sound incorporated a mix of influences, such as progressive and hard rock, with various aspects of the heavy metal sound as well as prominent use of satanic imagery.
After a line-up change and new albums in 1980, 1983, and 1984, the band faded away due to lack of interest until former band members reunited in 1999. Since then, the band have played at many events and festivals throughout the UK, Europe and America.

Their first album...

SskY4XWRiHQNEe5XjUNkHgzLYG4uvzjsWMdAN0cVMK8uNBEgHo.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Excellent NWOBHM band !! You beat me to this thread Sweaty !....yet again good to see another band of this era get their own thread.I know you went to see them last week..sorry I couldnt get due to work. Seen them many times, various line ups....even THE REALM have been very fortunate to support these guys,in the past.
I love those early Sabbath style doom riffs......Luther Beltz [ chalky ] is still a brilliant singer,great guy too !! :bow:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
They were great on Friday night (in one of my local pubs) lots of screeching vocals from Chalky. Top night all round Sox

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
By the way Sweat we saw them on Sat not Fri .. I guess we must have drunk a little more than usual hense the time slip???

joe

Reaction score
Good stuff guys. I remember the album cover Give "Em Hell but never heard any of the music. Somehow I was expecting it to be heavier in the context of Angel Witch and Venom.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that Joe WITCHFYNDE were and still are confused with WITCHFINDER GENERAL, ANGELWITCH....and as you say because of the debut album cover by both bands VENOM.
WITCHFYNDE were the first with the goats head logo.....Venom,Bathory and a million other black metal bands have followed...:heheh:
Thats another good point Joe you noticed WITCHFYNDEs music got away from the doom satanic imagery to become more hard rock like early Priest.
How I would have loved to have seen this band in their earlier days !!!

This brings back memories I used to have that patch !!

Attachments

• witchfynde3.jpg
    witchfynde3.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 43
  • witchfundep1.jpg
    witchfundep1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 43

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
WITCHFYNDE Discography

Give em hell 1980
Stagefright 80