Why Van Halen can't win with their new album!

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I firmly believe that Van Halen will release a great album in the first half of 2012. All the signs are there: Talk of inspiration from old demos, independent musical witnesses such as Creed's Mark Tremonti commenting that it sounds like classic VH, the rumoured inclusion of the killer guitar break from Back To The Future, major label 'snap up' from that sharpest of cookies Jimmy Iovine of Interscope Records.

Still, in terms of critical and fan acclaim, they probably can't win. Van Halen fans as I've come to discover are amongst the most critical out there, attributable in no small part to the massive impact and influence their guitarist had on the 80's US Hard Rock scene.

Release an album that is bold and reaching equals criticism for that departure of sound.

Put out an album that returns the sound of Van Halen I and Van Halen II replete with one guitar out of one speaker, bass on other, vocals dead centre and it's derided as a cynical rehash act a la the unfair reception awarded to Metallica's Death Magnetic.

One thing to keep in mind though: Cream always rises to the top, so if it really is superb it'll sell by the bucketload whatever anyone says.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind though: Cream always rises to the top, so if it really is superb it'll sell by the bucketload whatever anyone says.

I couldn't disagree more. Even if it's a great album it likely won't sell "bucketloads" because Van Halen doesn't capture that crucial female audience (anymore) that it takes to move large numbers of albums. Besides, most people just aren't buying albums these days period other than more serious music fans and/or old school people who don't, for one reason or another, buy from iTunes or just illegally download all together. So regardless of one's reason for still buying albums they'll buy the upcoming Van Halen album whether it's fantastic or a steamy pile of ***** just because it IS Van Halen.

I still don't have faith in that album until I actually hear it for myself and if it's great, then that's great. If it's not....then at least it'll be the new, big disappointment to make fun of constantly instead of "Chinese Democracy" because I've grown weary of defending that album as much as I have to. ;)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Van Halen keep putting off the album, hard to take them seriously anymore.

Fever

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how great it is ,albums by classic rock bands just don't sell like they used to.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
There are still a few classic rock bands that with the right marketing can sell albums by the bucketload, even with the download availability problem. Journey proved that you can still do it with Revelation and the 're-recorded' greatest hits package.

Don't underestimate the number of guitarists out there who'll follow Eddie Van Halen to the ends of the earth. Add in Jimmy Iovine and Interscope records and you could have a US Billboard number one album....if the quality is there.

Just for the record, Van Halen haven't put anything off. They haven't announced a release date that subsequently wasn't honoured or even officially confirmed that they're recording an album. That's down to the press and eager music fans.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
What's irrelevant, an opinion I expressed to other music fans?

joe

Reaction score
What's irrelevant, an opinion I expressed to other music fans?

Van Halen's new album and pretty much any "classic rock dinosaur" album that will be released in 2012.

Nobody's opinion is irrelevant.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I think for the most part.. The fans have come to their senses.. Shame on you for fooling me once.. Shame on me for fooling me twice.. They figured Shame on me 8 times is just plain shamefull..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONVMollie

Members online