Why isn't Led Zeppelin given as much attention...

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Their catalog isnt as massive as the other greats, and 60s rock brought the genre into mainstream success, it made it distinct and formed the roots, no longer just blues/country derivatives, a totally new form of music. Zep kind of pioneered metal, driving away from melodic slow corded, soft rock. One decade of bands made rock popular, the next engineered it into something new.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my market, they are the most overplayed band ever. Seriously, they get more airplay than the Stones and the Who combined.

I don't mind how often the band gets played, just stop playing Black Dog all the time and play some variety.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Maybe they don't get as much attention in regular radio because they are they are much harder compared to the Beatles and the Stones and hence doesn't receive much attention?

I agree that Led Zeppelin is a top three band. The biggest difference is that they were not singles oriented as were The Beatles or Rolling Stones. FM stations and digital broadcasts have been more album friendly.

Their catalog isnt as massive as the other greats, and 60s rock brought the genre into mainstream success, it made it distinct and formed the roots, no longer just blues/country derivatives, a totally new form of music. Zep kind of pioneered metal, driving away from melodic slow corded, soft rock. One decade of bands made rock popular, the next engineered it into something new.

These are the best answers, and I agree with these wholeheartedly. I get what the OP is trying to say though. I think it mostly has to do with the massive impact the Beatles had laying the foundation for many bands to come and as far as the Stones go, they've been around for many many decades and tours. Touring bands are always more successful. Zeppelin were together for a little over a decade but they're tied up with Queen as the second highest-selling rock band ever (behind the Beatles of course). I'd say that is an accomplishment and I've always applauded them for not continuing on after Bonzo's death. It would have weakened their impact.

You also see less Zeppelin merchandise compared to the Beatles, KISS, AC/DC, etc. I think the band is more controlling over their brand/image compared to the others. Their music isn't as prevalent as others in television/films/etc.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That ^^^ and Stairway :rolleyes:

I suppose Kashmir is another one that can go in there as well. But for some reason its really only Black Dog that bugs me because I have only ever heard that one whenever I hear radio whenever I drive or just generally bored. Gotta be pretty bored myself to resort to the radio anyway. :heheh:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
^^^^ We have the radio on at a classic rock station at work and we hear a lot of Zepp :grinthumb but they do need to vary the songs a bit!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree play some songs off Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin I or even Presence.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I think it's a plus for them that Stairway to Heaven is the most-played song in the history of radio, despite its length and they beat out the Beatles AND the Stones for that honor. That's a great accomplishment even if you hate hearing it all the time.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online