Why do the songs that Sammy Hagar did with Van Halen have a different style from what he did with Montrose or solo?

Diamond Reo

The Ultimate Warlord
Reaction score
I love Sammy Hagar's works. One thing I've noticed about him is that the songs that he did with Van Halen seem stylistically different from the ones he did with Montrose or in his solo career. Why is this? I mean, I listen to stuff like "Bad Motor Scooter" or "There's Only One Way to Rock", and then I listen to stuff like "Love Walks In" or "Finish What Ya Started" and it makes me wonder.

E-Z

Reaction score
I did read that Van Halen when they were on the way up before 1978 and playing colleges across the states before the release of their debut album they did use to cover at least one Montrose number in there set which from memory I think was Make It Last the final song on side 2 of the Montrose vinyl debut album.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Im sure there are many reasons. A different level of maturity, different song writing partners and approach, different outlook on life in general. Different expectations of what the music should be.

STATUS QUO

Reaction score
Sammy is one of those very versatile musicians that can adapt to different styles, but also understands the expectations of the people he's working with.
People keep forgetting or don't realise that people that work in the field of Arts & Culture & Entertainment are intelligent and talented. Iggy Pop ( James Newell Osterberg, Jr.) came Dux of his school. That's #1.
Stewart Copeland the Drummer & Sting's pugilist partner in The Police is a genius mathematician.
Mark Knopfler worked first as a reporter and farm hand and later as an English teacher.
Don't be fooled by the dopey ones either, it's all an act.
John Lydon ( Rotten ) from The *** Pistols is one of the smartest and quick witted people on the Planet.
The short answer is - Musicians and Actors are intelligent

In regards to Van Halen, Sammy brought a great voice and very importantly, a 2nd Guitar.
Bands with 2 Guitars have a richer and fuller sound.
Sammy wasn't a Show Pony like David Lee Roth, even though I love Diamond Dave.
Sammy was a Blue Collar Worker.
The 5150 album was great because of Sammy Hagar.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
^ This really sums it up. Eddie had already been veering a different direction (creatively) before Dave left the band. The addition of Sammy was a change for both Sammy's style as well as Van Halen's style.

At the time, I was NOT a fan. I warmed up when OU812 came out and honestly loved that album, but I still held a grudge against 5150 for years and it was the last of the 4 Sammy studio albums that I embraced.

Anyway, to get back to the question... I'd say 70sG summed it up perfect. Change of surroundings and his own personal style progression

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online