Was punk necessary?

Was punk necessary?

• Total voters

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Well, what do you think Chuck Berry's famous tune Roll Over Beethoven was all about then....popcorn??!, heheheheheh

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
.......and if that's NOT enuff, just look at the hairdo Little Richard's got (LR the man who started the fire!!!) ....it was '54!!!:):)....if that's not punk, pray tell what is??!!!:):)
littlerichardwithgirl.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Nice write up there buck and I agree...just wanted to clarify my vote only means that it wasn't "necessary",meaning that all music wasn't so bad that it needed some sort of alternative to make things better (and that goes for any decade IMO)...however I do feel that all forms of music,as art,are to be welcomed or given a chance...but to live amongst one another for the sake of variety.

:cheers:

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
Where were you in 1977? It sounds like you might have seen many of the early wave punk bands live.

I was living in Toronto. I remember watching performances by local bands such as the Viletones, Poles, Ugly, B-Girls and the Curse, and visiting bands including the Boyfriends from Detroit, the Dead Boys from Cleveland and the Viletones from the U.K.

In 1977 I was High School. We used to go to a place called the Latino Ballroom in Pontiac, MI. I remember seeing the late great Ron Ashton with Niagara and Destroy All Monsters there along with bands like The A-Moms, Cult Heroes & The Puppets. Remember a band called Rhythm Core? Before they were called that they were known as Rhythm Method and they used to play around there too. I remember seeing those guys play one night in a Record Store.

I remember that time with "some" clarity. :heheh:

Personally, in 1977, I was more into learning Captain Beyond riffs and playing along with Nugent, Foghat & Black Sabbath albums as an aspiring bassist.

I hung out with people in and out of school that were into all sorts of music.

I remember when the Sex Pistols Album hit. I thought it was utter shit but had friends that liked them and wore safety pins to school.

With respect to the English scene and new music I was more into Ian Dury & The Blockheads, The Tubes (I know they are not British, but they fit in nicely just like Tom Verlaine, Richard Hell & Stiv Bators did), Be Bop Deluxe, Roxy Music, etc. Although I remember buying the Buzzcocks album A New Music In A Different Kitchen when it came out and I really liked it.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
In 1977 I was High School. We used to go to a place called the Latino Ballroom in Pontiac, MI.

Did you ever see Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels or the Stooges in concert? Did you ever attend a concert at the fabled Grande Ballroom in downtown Detroit?

Reaction score
Agreed! ... :)
Agreed +2 :grinthumb
With respect to the English scene and new music I was more into Ian Dury & The Blockheads, The Tubes (I know they are not British, but they fit in nicely just like Tom Verlaine, Richard Hell & Stiv Bators did), Be Bop Deluxe, Roxy Music, etc. Although I remember buying the Buzzcocks album A New Music In A Different Kitchen when it came out and I really liked it.

I love the Buzzcocks, they are actually alright players:lmao: but such great energy, passion, and songs; Their songs always cheer mue up when I'm in a crappy mood too:cheers:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online