Warning Adult Content: Artistic Non-Gratuitous Profanity Used In Songs!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
:ec:

Prior Warning:
Leave the language in the music and do not use the prohibited words that you know by now isn't allowed. Either say F-Word or F-Bomb to describe the use of that word! Do not use the C-word at all! Thank you!

That being said, I believe that profanity can be a powerful accent to a song when done right and not used for every other words like certain genres do. The words when used as a way to punctuate a song have a very powerful effect!

Here are my examples:

Paula Cole:

d3ba9251-215f-4ef3-a6de-8aa256b9c30c.jpg

Paula only uses two words of profanity in here! It's a angry seething song and when she uses "bitch in heat" with such a fierceness it jumpstarts the song! She builds andbuilds the song and she spends over three minutes of the song building anger until she's leaves the song with a shriek of mother-f-er! This is in my opinion the right way to use a word like that as a language with a purpose rather than being profane!

Paula Cole-Throwing Stones
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=paula%20cole%20throwing%20stones"]http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=paula%20cole%20throwing%20stones[/URL]

Tori Amos:

2005-05-10brisbane-gavin-big.jpg
Another example is how Tori Amos uses the F-Bomb in Northern Lad. I love how she phrases it in such an emotional way when she says it and it describes a feeling of despair and misery!

Tori Amos-Northern Lad
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/?query=tori%20amos%20northern%20lad"]http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/?query=tori%20amos%20northern%20lad[/URL]

Any other artistic examples?

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Very common, but this song would work without John's bitter description of the public as [insert F-bomb] peasants. Makes the song stronger* IMO

* Feldy fun-fact: I must be tired. I just typed "Makes the strong songer" and was about to submit. :banghead:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like the Feldter Fun Facts! :grinthumb That's a good example and actually just reminds me of how good the song is! The profanity mixes right into the song because the whole song fits that bitter mood! :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
This one by Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan:

Damien+Rice++Lisa+Hannigan.jpg

is debatable! It uses the F-bomb as part of the chorus but it's used in such cathartic and channeled way it's beautiful!

Rootless Tree

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That word is likely the most offensive word and controversial word used today! I remember being shocked hearing it in a pop song, though censored on radio of course! It was a powerful usage and used to serve the story IMO! It was about love overcoming everything including prejudice! I feel so moved by this song!

Blessid Union of Souls-I Believe

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Kid Rock....He uses a lot of profanity in his songs, especially the rap songs...and incidentally I don't find it necessary, but I love this song and his use of the F-bomb fits right in the song:

"A lot of people F*** with me,,,,,,, I guess that's the price you pay"

He did an excellent performance at Sturgis :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
John Lennon's use of the "N" word to drive the point home regarding the unfair treatment of all women...while at the same time showing the world how offensive racism is in general.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
How many times does the "B" word get used?

From the main vocal the back ups and the low soulful "B" words..

...This one never gets old and never seemed to offend the general public. I just find that interesting. From radio to record sales.

:oy:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online