War (Official Thread)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: War.. One of my favorites

Nice Flower.. This brings to light something about Eric Burton..
"However, Burdon -- citing exhaustion -- suddenly quit during the middle of the group's European tour in 1971"
I wonder if he just couldn't keep up with the long jam thing War was noted for..
Man.. I'm into Eric Big time.. but for him to come aboard and join this band??? Maybe he just didn't have the "Feel" of what they were into..
Playing the cowbell like he was doing dosn't grant you much profilin as far as I'm concerned..

I remember hearing a story about this a number of years ago, regarding Burdon leaving the band. I have no idea if this is factual or simply the sort of stuff that is considered urban legend.

The story went something like this. The band's record label were boasting something about none of their artists under contract were big drug users (or at least not open about it). To which Eric responded by saying "oh yeah, wtf am I?" and from what I understand, he was pretty well known for being a habitual user of various drugs.

So, from what I remember, the whole collapse in Euro, and subsequent leaving of the band was basically forced by the record company and he (and possibly the band) were given compensation for keeping the whole thing under wraps.

Again, I'm not saying that 1 word of this is fact, just a story I remember hearing quite a few years ago

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Re: War.. One of my favorites

I remember hearing a story about this a number of years ago, regarding Burdon leaving the band. I have no idea if this is factual or simply the sort of stuff that is considered urban legend.

The story went something like this. The band's record label were boasting something about none of their artists under contract were big drug users (or at least not open about it). To which Eric responded by saying "oh yeah, wtf am I?" and from what I understand, he was pretty well known for being a habitual user of various drugs.

So, from what I remember, the whole collapse in Euro, and subsequent leaving of the band was basically forced by the record company and he (and possibly the band) were given compensation for keeping the whole thing under wraps.

Again, I'm not saying that 1 word of this is fact, just a story I remember hearing quite a few years ago

I can buy that.. I hear things about his "ODD " side from a few posters on here that seem to know his history..
It wouldn't strike me as he had to do that just to justify his stand on things..
But in all.. maybe it was a right move so the band could go on and express themselves the way they wanted too..
Spill the wine was a great hit.. But without Eric in the band.. they brought forth some major hits on their own..:cheers:

yesfan2000

Reaction score
What a grooovy band...once they get into a groove, they just don't let it go.

The World is a Ghetto is start to finish...must listen all the way through...crank it up...essential for me.

I've got Eric Burdon Declares War, but I wasn't too impressed with it.

dave

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
I always liked War. I have a best of CD. I usually I not one for that format ...probably should look a bit deeper.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online