Vinyl or cd`s

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I prefer vinyl, but as has already been mentioned, cost is becoming an issue. Some of the vinyl packages being released are a truly shocking price.

mrJim

Reaction score
don't waste high dollars on vinyl unless it states exactly what it was mastered from. So you don't really have to spend it.

Jim

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I guess CD's. If vinyl was as easy to get as CD's I would buy vinyl.

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
Be more specific with your question. It was quite ambiguous. ;) That said, I assume you mean sound quality?

I do not like the clinical sound of cds but there are some I have in my small collection that blow me away, no matter how harsh the reproduction. Some things just sound better on cd, to me, like classical music. The warmth of an album doesn't really represent classical music well enough tho I do have some classical albums that blow me away.

For convenience a cd will win all day, of course. For price - OY!, cd wins again although they are too $$ at $12 for what they are and their cost of manufacture. I still buy albums but I have become as picky as when I was 12 because they are very expensive now.

The thing most people fail to recognize is that all sound is analog. Heh. They trump digital all day but the sound still has to go through a speaker, which is analog. All speakers color the sound to a degree even your 28 thousand dollar 'neutral' ones. I own speakers that do not reproduce the full range of human hearing but there is absolutely nothing missing when I listen too music because my brain fills in the gaps. When the sound is coming from a vinyl album the texture is rich and warm because of what is reproduced through my system and what my brain fills in but when the sound comes from a digital cd my brain is not allowed to fill in any gaps because there may not be any, my speakers shortcomings notwithstanding. This is why I find cds to be too clilnical and harsh and can only listen to them for a short while. I can listen to vinyl albums all day, though.

Why do people call albums vinyls? You don't call a car carbon fibers or steels. It's a record album. Get off my lawn!

mrJim

Reaction score
Vinyl is hitting the market in good numbers right now. But it's important to know what that Vinyl was sourced from. Cause it will only be as good as its source.

there is a lot of vinyl right now being sourced from digital, which means it likely came from CD or CD quality digit digital file. Its quick low work relatively easy money.

Sourcing from original analog tape, if it even exists, takes equipment and means time and money. If they used a good souce.. That I will $$ pay for.

As for Vinyl sourced from CD, save your money and just buy the CD.

Jim

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Be more specific with your question. It was quite ambiguous. ;) That said, I assume you mean sound quality?

I do not like the clinical sound of cds but there are some I have in my small collection that blow me away, no matter how harsh the reproduction. Some things just sound better on cd, to me, like classical music. The warmth of an album doesn't really represent classical music well enough tho I do have some classical albums that blow me away.

For convenience a cd will win all day, of course. For price - OY!, cd wins again although they are too $$ at $12 for what they are and their cost of manufacture. I still buy albums but I have become as picky as when I was 12 because they are very expensive now.

The thing most people fail to recognize is that all sound is analog. Heh. They trump digital all day but the sound still has to go through a speaker, which is analog. All speakers color the sound to a degree even your 28 thousand dollar 'neutral' ones. I own speakers that do not reproduce the full range of human hearing but there is absolutely nothing missing when I listen too music because my brain fills in the gaps. When the sound is coming from a vinyl album the texture is rich and warm because of what is reproduced through my system and what my brain fills in but when the sound comes from a digital cd my brain is not allowed to fill in any gaps because there may not be any, my speakers shortcomings notwithstanding. This is why I find cds to be too clilnical and harsh and can only listen to them for a short while. I can listen to vinyl albums all day, though.

Why do people call albums vinyls? You don't call a car carbon fibers or steels. It's a record album. Get off my lawn!

ooh we are being a little grumpy old man today wisertime you see back in the day they where called lps or vinyl...why do us men call car/motorcycles female names...lol

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I love em both. I like the consistency, the practicallity, and the modern remastering of CD's. But the original mastering of most vinyl records is my favorite mix of overall sound and you just can't beat the dynamics of a mint record on a great turntable. I try to own both if it's an album I love.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online