"Van Halen is getting along great!"-David Lee Roth

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
actually i might add that i like dave. just as much as i like sammy. but people seem to forget that eddie and solely eddie is the cause of van halen's previously problems.
and i don't blame Sammy [and mike for that matter]for being a little bit bemused by the antics.such as removing mike from the website, and trying to wiping 13 years of the bands history away with merchandise etc.
i picked up a van halen picture book at borders, and i was seriously thinking of buying it until i realised that the photo's began in 1978 - ended in 1984. no sammy, no gary cherone. so i thought screw it! good book but its incomplete .

Well, it's only rock n roll and sometimes rock bands have problems and shift personnel. In fact over a 40 year span, most don't even survive. VH is no different and no better or worse on that front and it least they're still a going concern and making great music. I too love Hagar era almost as much as Dave era, so I don't see the issue. What I don't understand is the pleasure that some seem to take in the idea that it's all falling apart, feeding off that negativity.

I lost count of the people on this and other forums claiming that the reunion LP would never ever happen, even when they'd clearly been in the studio for many months. When it was clear that the LP would surface those same people changed tack and we endured proclamations that the quality of the new music would be poor, based only on Tattoo and a few samples. When it was clear that the LP was a winner, they moved to concentrating on the "how soon before it fails" theory.

Case in point: The sh*t about Michael Anthony's "missing" backing vocals deteriorating the VH sound is frankly ridiclous..... revisionism of the worst kind: It's almost laughable. I listened to VH II yesterday and the backing box are OK, but it's hardly Pavarotti!

Put it this way, ADKOT is a great album and the musical landscape, including a tour that many,many people signed up to and enjoyed, is far better for VH in 2012. The rest is all just talk from people with nothing to do but speculate and frankly it's bollox talk.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
...ps I see that the naysayers are switching to Aerosmith now anyway and apparently their LP won't happen, after which we'll be told it's going to be crap, following which if it's great they'll speculate on Tyler and Perry not getting along. I see a pattern.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
...ps I see that the naysayers are switching to Aerosmith now anyway and apparently their LP won't happen, after which we'll be told it's going to be crap, following which if it's great they'll speculate on Tyler and Perry not getting along. I see a pattern.

I dunno about anyone else but I liked the new VH (now I do anyway) and I still want to check out what Aerosmith will put out. I will judge for myself if its crap not let someone else decide that for me.

foreverblue

Reaction score
Well, it's only rock n roll and sometimes rock bands have problems and shift personnel. In fact over a 40 year span, most don't even survive. VH is no different and no better or worse on that front and it least they're still a going concern and making great music. I too love Hagar era almost as much as Dave era, so I don't see the issue. What I don't understand is the pleasure that some seem to take in the idea that it's all falling apart, feeding off that negativity.

I lost count of the people on this and other forums claiming that the reunion LP would never ever happen, even when they'd clearly been in the studio for many months. When it was clear that the LP would surface those same people changed tack and we endured proclamations that the quality of the new music would be poor, based only on Tattoo and a few samples. When it was clear that the LP was a winner, they moved to concentrating on the "how soon before it fails" theory.

Case in point: The sh*t about Michael Anthony's "missing" backing vocals deteriorating the VH sound is frankly ridiclous..... revisionism of the worst kind: It's almost laughable. I listened to VH II yesterday and the backing box are OK, but it's hardly Pavarotti!

Put it this way, ADKOT is a great album and the musical landscape, including a tour that many,many people signed up to and enjoyed, is far better for VH in 2012. The rest is all just talk from people with nothing to do but speculate and frankly it's bollox talk.

i agree a different kind of truth is a good album, it has grown on me with repeated listens, something that van halen 3 has failed to do.
the problem is sammy makes a remark about van halen, and all of sudden the anti-van hagar crowd comes out with all this anti-sammy hatred which is juvenile and annoying.
to all the anti-van hagar crowd, if you hate sammy hagar so much,they should throw every cd from 5150 to best of the worlds in the trash, and go get hypnotism done so they can believe in their mind that the period 86-96 didn't happen and van halen were on a lengthy hiatus.
as for mikes vocals they provided texture to their sound, and i do miss that, he was a particular important part of van halen's overall sound.
anyway its just not van halen that has these kinds of fans, fans of yes 69-78 seem to have an arrogant view of the rabin era yes.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've grown to like ADKOT as well. I like all of it. Do I think it would sound better with Michael Anthony's voice behind Dave's??

Yes I do...since we can hear that Dave can't really hit the highs anymore, Mike would have come in REAL handy.

:grinthumb

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
i agree a different kind of truth is a good album, it has grown on me with repeated listens, something that van halen 3 has failed to do.
the problem is sammy makes a remark about van halen, and all of sudden the anti-van hagar crowd comes out with all this anti-sammy hatred which is juvenile and annoying.
to all the anti-van hagar crowd, if you hate sammy hagar so much,they should throw every cd from 5150 to best of the worlds in the trash, and go get hypnotism done so they can believe in their mind that the period 86-96 didn't happen and van halen were on a lengthy hiatus.
as for mikes vocals they provided texture to their sound, and i do miss that, he was a particular important part of van halen's overall sound.
anyway its just not van halen that has these kinds of fans, fans of yes 69-78 seem to have an arrogant view of the rabin era yes.

A mate of mine bought ******* without knowing DLR wasn't on it [pre Wikipedia days]. We ceremoniously burnt it on a BBQ one night. We own the 6 pack plus a Different Kind of Truth. Van Halen didn't exist after 1984 until 2007.

As for your last comment, there are loads of artists with fans like that. I've met Aerosmith fans that hate everything post Done With Mirrors, Status Quo fans who hate everything post 86, AC/DC fans hating post Bon. Just the way it is.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.