Uriah Heep (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
The John Lawton era between 1976-79 was pretty good. Songs like Free Me, Cheat 'n' Lie, Free 'n' Easy & Falling In Love along with several several others were good songs. John had a powerful voice.

Last edited:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
The John Lawton era between 1976-79 was pretty good. Songs like Free Me, Cheat 'n' Lie, Free 'n' Easy & Falling In Love along with several several others were good songs. John had a powerful voice.
Firefly and Innocent Victim were brilliant albums. Fallen Angel was okay. Then the wheels fell off - the next album would have been awful if the bootleg Ten Miles High is anything to go by.
I agree that John Lawton had a wonderful voice. It's just that material got weaker and more poppy.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Firefly and Innocent Victim were brilliant albums. Fallen Angel was okay. Then the wheels fell off - the next album would have been awful if the bootleg Ten Miles High is anything to go by.
I agree that John Lawton had a wonderful voice. It's just that material got weaker and more poppy.
Firefly.. Was a grower.. but after a while-- superb.

E-Z

Reaction score
I read that Ken Hensley met a German fan once who showed him his tattoo of the Fallen Angel album cover on his entire back!. Ken said he was very impressed!!.

Firefly
is a really good album. When I first heard it many years ago I played it quite a bit also the follow up album Innocent Victim is a good album as well and as for the Fallen Angel album yes I agree with record27 it's a weaker album and a bit to 'poppy' which was unfortunate as it has a great album cover art.

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score

Firefly.. Was a grower.. but after a while-- superb.

For me, Fallen Angel was the best of the three released Lawton albums.

I have a copy of the Ten Miles bootleg. Some of the tracks are unfinished (maybe all of them), I think if they had been finished/mastered/what have you, it would have sounded a lot better. Ken was talking about finishing the album around 1999, it's only a shame it never came to pass. A few of the tracks have appeared on compilations albums, plus the 2 tracks that ended up on Conquest (sounding much different than they would have with John).

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
For me, Fallen Angel was the best of the three released Lawton albums.

I have a copy of the Ten Miles bootleg. Some of the tracks are unfinished (maybe all of them), I think if they had been finished/mastered/what have you, it would have sounded a lot better. Ken was talking about finishing the album around 1999, it's only a shame it never came to pass. A few of the tracks have appeared on compilations albums, plus the 2 tracks that ended up on Conquest (sounding much different than they would have with John).

Good point @Ar-Pharazon. Some of the tracks that have been released in final form do sound a little better. The tracks that made it to Conquest (Fools and Feelings), are in my opinion, much weaker than the bootleg version.
Having given the album another listen. it sounds much better than I remember it. John Lawton's singing is top notch and the arrangements are adequate, but not the Uriah Heep that I love. There are a couple of songs that could fit on Innocent Victim or Firefly albums. But overall for me the album is about in the same league as Fallen Angel which I hardly ever listen to.
Maybe Conquest would have been a much better album if John Lawton had sung on it instead of John Sloman.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online