U2's Pop vs. All That You Can't Leave Behind

Which is the better album?

• Pop (1997)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • They're both good. Can't decide.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
These albums marked the biggest artistic and thematic shift for U2 since Rattle And Hum and Achtung Baby and they polarised fans everywhere. What do you all think? :D

U2-Pop-cover.png

OR

All%2BThat%2BYou%2BCant%2BLeave%2BBehind.png

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
U2 was at their peak in the 80's, I respect them trying new approaches to keep things fresh from the 90's onward but none of those albums are up to the early lofty standards.

I'll think about this one, I've forgotten what each album sounds like it's been over ten years since I listened to either of them.:think:

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
U2 was at their peak in the 80's, I respect them trying new approaches to keep things fresh from the 90's onward but none of those albums are up to the early lofty standards.

I'll think about this one, I've forgotten what each album sounds like it's been over ten years since I listened to either of them.:think:

Well, I happen to think that U2 was really at their peak in the early 90s with Achtung Baby when they blended the best aspects of their 80s songwriting with the fresh new sound at the time. But I'll admit that the Joshua Tree is a close second! :heheh:

As for these 2 albums LG, I do think you should give them both a listen... on some streaming service at least if not on CD. They both have a handful of decent tunes. Personally I think Pop is very very good, especially lyrically.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I think I have all of U2's albums except the last one...have to look.:hm:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Do you like 80's U2 more than what they did in the 90's till now MP?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I"ll bite on this.....

Keep in mind my all time fav U2 album is Joshua Tree, but I love 90's U2. Achtung Baby being the favored with All That You Can't Leave Behind running a very close second......

Didn't care too much for Pop. Never liked the opening track, Discoteque, which sorta set the mood for the album.....at least it did for me.

mrJim

Reaction score
the option I was thinking isn't in the list. its almost like the third one but not.

I am a huge U2 fan but.... although they were experimental they really weren't that good in U2 total body of work.

Last edited:

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Didn't care too much for Pop. Never liked the opening track, Discoteque, which sorta set the mood for the album.....at least it did for me.

That was the problem. Sigh! Discotheque is not really indicative of the quality on the rest of the album. Discotheque is just a fun throwaway opening track about chewing bubblegum and lovey dovey stuff. (or so it seems from the lyrics... but it's also about what a fake superficial world we live in... but I digress.)

My point is that there are other brilliant songs on the album such as the extremely cynical 'Gone', the desparate call for peace 'Please', the very sensual 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress', the emotionally bare ode to Bono's mother 'Mofo', the summery beauty 'Staring At The Sun' and so on. The album is much more complex than what it appears from a few listens. Chalk it to the irony mindset that they were still in during the 90s.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikashow

Members online

No members online now.