Twenty best 'live' albums (official only - no boots)

70sProgFan

Reaction score
OK...
In no particular order, here are twenty that I rate highly...

'Bursting Out' - Jethro Tull
'Yessongs ' - Yes
'Strangers In The Night' - UFO
'Live Without A Net' - Angel
'Live' - Genesis
'Seconds Out' - Genesis
'Pressure Points' - Camel
'Live And Dangerous' - Thin Lizzy
'Waiting For Columbus' - Little Feat
'Rock'N'Roll Animal' - Lou Reed
'Exit Stage Left' - Rush
'A Live Record' - Camel
'Farewell Tour' - The Doobie Brothers
'Eagles Live' - Eagles
'FM Live' - Climax Blues Band
'Nine Tonight' - Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
'Live in the Air Age' - Be-Bop Deluxe
'The Black Symphony' - Within Temptation
'Pulse' - Pink Floyd
'A Show Of Hands' - Rush

There will be others that I currently can't think of, and I'm sure that you'll find much heavier ones to list.

Remember! Official albums only; no bootlegs or demos, etc.

Last edited:

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Someday soon perhaps we can consider the Get Back Rooftop Concert as a legitimate live album. And I do not know why I rarely consider Nine Tonight from Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band. It really has a great setlist. I'm just mostly satisfied with Live Bullet that I completely disregard Nine Tonight. Hmm.
Anyway...
The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl
This was one of the albums that really infected me with The Beatles bug. Eight Days A Week is a long overdue upgrade and improvement but the original release will always be special to me.
Double Live Gonzo-Ted Nugent
His very best live album and a complete example of what a live recording should be: Capture the energy, personality, and talent of the artist, showcase some popular songs, and make a recording that sounds great. (with probably a few studio overdubs) Technology limited The Beatles greatly when trying to record them live but At The Hollywood Bowl and Double Live Gonzo will always rank at the top of my list.
Wings Over America-Paul McCartney And Wings
If you do not have this on a list of 20 favorite live albums someone should slap you in the face with a fish.
Cheap Trick At Budokan
Woodstock Music From The Original Soundtrack And More
I tend to listen to the first, original collection more than listen to the second, original collection and I do have the complete official set recordings from Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Santana, and of course Gypsy Sun and Rainbow, Jimi Hendrix. And speaking of Band Of Gypsys
Band Of Gypsys
12 minutes of "Machine Gun" alone should put this live album on most people's list. Are you kidding me?
Exit... Stage Left-Rush
A Show Of Hands-Rush
The Song Remains The Same-Led Zeppelin
Live Bullet-Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band
Frampton Comes Alive-Peter Frampton
Live In Concert-Natalie Merchant
Thanksgiving 2011-The Rainmakers
Live At The House Of The Blues-Better Than Ezra
We All Raise Our Voices To The Air-The Decemberists
Songs Of Faith And Devotion Live-Depeche Mode
Performing This Week At Ronnie Scott's-Jeff Beck
Me First And The Gimmie Gimmes Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah
Unplugged-Paul McCartney
Live At The Roxy-Social Distortion

STATUS QUO

Reaction score
That list of LIVE albums you've Posted are just from your narrow minded and misinformed opinion.
Unlike you, I've actually heard the Best LIVE albums from the Best Artists.
I'm a fully informed person that knows that the Earth is spherical, not Flat.
It gives me a warm, satisfied feeling knowing that I possess the correct knowledge.
Not only for music, I mean all topics.
Politics, economics, climate change.............
I won't share my intellectual property with the Unworthy, though I will recommend two LIVE albums that are essential listening.
NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE double LIVE album called "WELD".
The Best LIVE album in history is " LIVE " by STATUS QUO, who just happen to be the Best Rock Band of all time.
Well, of course you haven't heard of them, you think the Earth is Flat.
I recommend you read ( *** PISTOLS ) JOHN LYDON'S Autobiography, to see what he says about STATUS QUO.
STATUS QUO are No.1 and daylight is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th.............

70sProgFan

Reaction score
That list of LIVE albums you've Posted are just from your narrow minded and misinformed opinion.
Unlike you, I've actually heard the Best LIVE albums from the Best Artists.
I'm a fully informed person that knows that the Earth is spherical, not Flat.
It gives me a warm, satisfied feeling knowing that I possess the correct knowledge.
Not only for music, I mean all topics.
Politics, economics, climate change.............
I won't share my intellectual property with the Unworthy, though I will recommend two LIVE albums that are essential listening.
NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE double LIVE album called "WELD".
The Best LIVE album in history is " LIVE " by STATUS QUO, who just happen to be the Best Rock Band of all time.
Well, of course you haven't heard of them, you think the Earth is Flat.
I recommend you read ( *** PISTOLS ) JOHN LYDON'S Autobiography, to see what he says about STATUS QUO.
STATUS QUO are No.1 and daylight is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th.............
Ha, ha, ha!
You're welcome, mate.
Yes, I know those albums, and I accept that there are many, many others that I omitted (Led Zep, Deep Purple, Free, Sabbath, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Quo, PFM, Alice Cooper, etc.) hence the thread.
I saw Quo back in 1976 and they were indeed excellent.
I've also seen Alice Cooper live half a dozen times - go and read what John Lydon says about that band....

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
I would go for-

1.Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous (from 1976-78)
2.Johnny Winter And Live (from 1971)
3.Pat Travers Go For What You Know (from 1979)
4.Deep Purple Made In Japan (from 1972)
5.Deep Purple Made In Europe (from 1975)
6.Mountain Twin Peaks (from 1973)
7.Johnny Winter Captured Live! (from 1975)
8.Free Live (from 1970)
9.The Who Live At Leeds (from 1970)
10.Robin Trower Live (from 1975)
11.Joe Walsh You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind (from 1976)
12.UFO Strangers In The Night (from 1979)
13.Peter Frampton Comes Alive (from 1976)
14.Uriah Heep Live (in 1973 in Birmingham England)
15.The Rolling Stones Get Yer Yas out! (from late 1969)
16.Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies (from 1970)
17.Cream Live (from 1968)
18.Cream Live Vol.2 (from 1968)
19.Wishbone Ash Live Dates (from 1973)
20.Rick Derringer Live (from 1976)

STATUS QUO

Reaction score
Alice Cooper was Originally the Band's name, which confused a lot of people, probably Flat Earthers.
Vince Furnier has a Golf Handicap of 4 ( well he did ) and some Right-Wing political views and opinions ( he does )
I really like Under My Wheels & ( I'm ) Eighteen, plus the Ballads are very tasteful.
1989's " Poison " is OK, if I'm in the right mood.

I'm not into Art that is contrived, constructed, orchestrated or formulated and/or designed with an intention that isn't organic. In Alice Cooper's case it is all stage-managed like a novelty act. It's everything that PUNK was supposedly opposed to.
Ironically, John Lydon has said and done a few things that contradict his PUNK manifesto.

You Tube comments from 7 yrs ago -

Yelling Elk

7 years ago
So glad to hear Johnny likes Alice Cooper. Personally... I love Alice Cooper's early work (when Alice Cooper was a band... not a man). Those early Cooper albums.. Love it to Death, Schools out, Killer,... were ******* garage band classics!

L. Salisbury

6 years ago
The *** Pistols could NOT exist without Alice Cooper. Rotten wrote the forward to the liner notes on Alice' box set- he recalled how he and Sid played "I luv the dead" on an out-of-tune guitar and an out-of-tune violin in London's tubeway. People would pay them to stop.

Britsh_weather_has_bipolar

7 years ago
Yeah Alice is great, and has made some great music too. I must say I felt a bit dissapointed when I heard he played golf with Nixon et al. Its a bit like finding out that Sir Patrick Moore was a rabid Thatcherite or that Peter Cushing was a vegan, I still love 'em both, I just wish I'd never heard those things about them that's all!

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Alice Cooper was Originally the Band's name, which confused a lot of people, probably Flat Earthers.
Vince Furnier has a Golf Handicap of 4 ( well he did ) and some Right-Wing political views and opinions ( he does )
I really like Under My Wheels & ( I'm ) Eighteen, plus the Ballads are very tasteful.
1989's " Poison " is OK, if I'm in the right mood.

I'm not into Art that is contrived, constructed, orchestrated or formulated and/or designed with an intention that isn't organic. In Alice Cooper's case it is all stage-managed like a novelty act. It's everything that PUNK was supposedly opposed to.
Ironically, John Lydon has said and done a few things that contradict his PUNK manifesto.

You Tube comments from 7 yrs ago -

Yelling Elk

7 years ago
So glad to hear Johnny likes Alice Cooper. Personally... I love Alice Cooper's early work (when Alice Cooper was a band... not a man). Those early Cooper albums.. Love it to Death, Schools out, Killer,... were ******* garage band classics!

L. Salisbury

6 years ago
The *** Pistols could NOT exist without Alice Cooper. Rotten wrote the forward to the liner notes on Alice' box set- he recalled how he and Sid played "I luv the dead" on an out-of-tune guitar and an out-of-tune violin in London's tubeway. People would pay them to stop.

Britsh_weather_has_bipolar

7 years ago
Yeah Alice is great, and has made some great music too. I must say I felt a bit dissapointed when I heard he played golf with Nixon et al. Its a bit like finding out that Sir Patrick Moore was a rabid Thatcherite or that Peter Cushing was a vegan, I still love 'em both, I just wish I'd never heard those things about them that's all!

Yes I knew that Lydon liked the Cooper band, hence my pointing you towards looking it up.
As I recall, he performed an Alice track for his Pistols audition.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yes I knew that Lydon liked the Cooper band, hence my pointing you towards looking it up.
As I recall, he performed an Alice track for his Pistols audition.
It was 18 or Eighteen that 'Johnny Rotten' sang although if it was anything like Johnny's rendition of Johnny B. Goode where he only knew a few lines of the song we can only guess?.

E-Z

Reaction score
I would go for-

1.Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous (from 1976-78)
2.Johnny Winter And Live (from 1971)
3.Pat Travers Go For What You Know (from 1979)
4.Deep Purple Made In Japan (from 1972)
5.Deep Purple Made In Europe (from 1975)
6.Mountain Twin Peaks (from 1973)
7.Johnny Winter Captured Live! (from 1975)
8.Free Live (from 1970)
9.The Who Live At Leeds (from 1970)
10.Robin Trower Live (from 1975)
11.Joe Walsh You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind (from 1976)
12.UFO Strangers In The Night (from 1979)
13.Peter Frampton Comes Alive (from 1976)
14.Uriah Heep Live (in 1973 in Birmingham England)
15.The Rolling Stones Get Yer Yas out! (from late 1969)
16.Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies (from 1970)
17.Cream Live (from 1968)
18.Cream Live Vol.2 (from 1968)
19.Wishbone Ash Live Dates (from 1973)
20.Rick Derringer Live (from 1976)
After thinking about it last night while listening to GRAND FUNK RAILROAD LIVE from 1969 here is another 5 live albums that are worth considering?.

1.Focus Live At The Rainbow (the Rainbow theatre in 1973 or originally called the Finsbury Park Astoria in north London but nowadays it's a Muslim temple)
2.Grand Funk Railroad Live (from 1969)
3.Motorhead No Sleep Till Hammersmith (from 1980)
4.Judus Priest Unleashed In The East (from 1979)
5.Wishbone Ash Live Dates Two (from 1979-80 possibly not as good as Live Dates from 1973 but it's a ok listen although I haven't heard it now for about 30+ years??).

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online