Tori Amos (Official Thread)

Abraxas

Reaction score
I tried to avoid checking out the video cos I like to wait til I get the cd but I just had to hear the new material and I must say that I really like it. I especially like Shattering Sea. I can't wait to get the cd/dvd combo.

Abraxas

Reaction score
Tori explains the concept of her new album:

According to Amos, the concept centers on a woman who is left alone on the eve of her relationship's demise, in an old house near the River Bandon, located on the outskirts of Kinsale, County Cork in Ireland. As dusk turns to night, the woman is confronted by Annabelle, a shapeshifting "childlike creature" played by Amos' daughter. The mythical creature, representing "duality", as well as the ancient forces of "the hunter" and "the hunted", coaxes the woman to follow her into the night, transporting them both approximately three-thousand years into the past to witness a previous incarnation of the woman's relationship. It was a time of great chaos and violence in ancient Ireland as a war of beliefs raged on, and the woman and her lover fought side-by-side as bards, using the ancient tree alphabet as their only weapon. Once the war was lost, however, the woman and her lover crossed the Atlantic on his sailboat, abandoning her world, the New World, in favor of his world, the Old World. It was during this time that forces, both within and outside of their control, drew the couple apart. After their sojourn into the past, Annabelle inducts the woman in an ancient ****** ritual which is meant to further expand her consciousness through both hallucinogenic and meditative means. During the ritual, Annabelle helps the woman realize how she abandoned her own fire and inner-strength when she left her world in favor of her lover's. The woman also sees how both she and her former lover interchangeably misused the ancient forces of "the hunter" and "the hunted" against one another throughout the course of their union. This dynamic, in turn, also plagued the present-day incarnation of their relationship. Once the ritual and woman's self-examination are complete, Annabelle reminds her of the perils and benefits found in using and misusing the ancient energies of "the hunter" and "the hunted". The creature also advises the woman that she must leave her so that she alone may face the Fire Muse, played by Amos' niece. In meeting the mythical goddess, the woman is allowed to recapture the fire and inner-strength she had abandoned, both in her past and present incarnations, and is taught about the "light" and "dark" forces of the world at large. The Fire Muse reminds the woman that more than just her own mortal pains and desires are of concern and, together, as the fiery goddess calls upon the woman to see the world from a higher perspective, they weave a spell to protect the light of the world from the forces of darkness. The woman ends her journey at dawn, renewed and grateful for all of the people that have inhabited her life, including her former lover.

In an interview with Instinct, Amos spoke of relating "to both the male and female in this story," while during her interview with The Interview People, she stressed that the themes tackled on the record are dualistic in nature for her, whereby they are somewhat telling of both "intimate conflict" within her own marriage along with the "greater problem" of the world today. Amos revealed that the album is "a compilation of experiences Mark and I have had for over sixteen years. We're still together, knock on wood. And we work together and we play together. And we're trying to be parents together. And it's difficult sometimes when you have to be the grown-ups." "I understand the man and the woman [on this album] very well," she continued. "It's not a play by play of me and husband, but there is a bit of us in there." In regards to the universal aspect of the record, Amos concluded, "As the story progresses, the protagonist begins to see that there [are] greater problem in the world. And they have to deal with their world. Not just another person in their world, but their relationship to the world itself."

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^^ This sounds soooo cool!! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Thanks for the soryline update Abraxas

:cheers2

Abraxas

Reaction score
^^^ This sounds soooo cool!! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Thanks for the soryline update Abraxas

:cheers2

You're very welcome, Metalpriest. I can't wait to hear this album! :cheers2

Been enjoying reading all the latest info on Tori's new album :grinthumb Not long to wait now :)

In less than a week it'll be out here in the States. :yay:

I pre-ordered my copy two months ago. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have the new album on pre-order now! It's the special edition of the album and I can't wait! In tribute I will be listening to the catalog from the beginning starting with Y Kant Tori Read! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm really digging the vocal in this early Tori song! Sure this is cheesy in an eighties sense but it's actually still very Tori in the vocals and is a very solid album! :grinthumb

img_6-709190.jpg
On The Boundary
(almost like Tori was channeling Benatar here)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm really digging the vocal in this early Tori song! Sure this is cheesy in an eighties sense but it's actually still very Tori in the vocals and is a very solid album! :grinthumb

img_6-709190.jpg
On The Boundary
(almost like Tori was channeling Benatar here)

Oh yeah this rocks!! :cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I could pick just about any song of off the solo debut but I think it's cool to spotlight this track as it's an incredibly fun, jazzy track that makes you sing along!

little_earthquakes.jpg
Happy Phantom

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hightower

Members online

No members online now.