Top Keyboard Wizards

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Davell Crawford hosted a three-way piano duel with Dr. John and John Cleary in Jazz Fest's Blues Tent
By Brett Anderson, The Times-Picayune
April 24, 2010, 5:10PM

Keith I. Marszalek / NOLA.comDavell Crawford performs at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, Saturday, April 24, 2010.Davell Crawford's profile is indecently low for a musician of his talents, but judging by the show he gave with One Foot in the Blues at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival Saturday afternoon, the New Orleans born pianist and singer is well aware of his own star power.

The far beyond-capacity crowd Crawford drew to the Blue Tent justified the stars shaved into the side of his close-cropped hair, and when he grabbed his microphone to step out from behind the keyboards to sing, it was readily apparent why he's been referred to as "the Prince of New Orleans," a nickname he said was coined by former mayor Marc Morial.

But it's a measure of Crawford's natural gifts that the show reached a fever pitch at one of its quietest moments, when the singer rendered Randy Newman's "Louisiana 1927" as a gospel hymn accompanied by little more than his own spare piano playing. I thought the song had lost its power to bring people to tears. I was wrong.

Crawford took a short break as his backing band played Howlin Wolf's "Shake For Me." Shortly after he returned he was joined by Jon Cleary, whose pained vocal on Little Willie John's "Let Them Talk" proved you don't need to have pipes as otherworldly as Crawford's to draw the emotion out of a song.

Dr. John took over the grand piano to sing "Iko Iko," which brought even a few audience members reliant on canes to their feet. Fittingly, the indelible moment was the last one: all three pianists playing the final bars of Professor Longhair's "Tipitina" side by side, on the same piano.

-1c21c7660190a743_large.jpg

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Buckwheat Zydeco soaks Acura Stage with bayou soul
By Nell Nolan
May 02, 2009, 3:06PM

Mathew Hinton / The Times-PicayuneBuckwheat Zydeco was unable to play his accordion, but that didn't stop him from leading a terrific show at the Acura Stage at Jazz Fest.Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Dural, it was announced early in his set at Jazz Fest on Satuday afternoon, has been having some health problems which kept him from breaking out his famous accordion. But that's not to say there was anything even remotely disappointing about the show; though he sat sedately behind the Hammond B3 organ (with his shades on) for the full hour, his playing was anything but reserved.

He also had a few friends along to help out.

More than a dozen musicians staffed the Acura Stage alongside Buckwheat, including Nathan Williams (of the Zydeco Cha Chas) on accordion and the youngest member of the performing Williams family, Naylon -- who looked to be about eight -- on rub board, both of whom turned a cover of Chuck Berry's "Don't You Lie To Me" into a scratchy South Louisiana sped-up two-stepper.

When the elder Williams called out that the band was about to hit a Clifton Chenier blues tune ("Cotton Picker Blues"), guitarist Lil Buck Sinegal -- the King of Zydeco's longtime lead guitar man, who met Buckwheat in Chenier's band -- was there to lay down authentic licks. The Louisiana soul veteran Dennis Landry appeared to perform a version of "People Get Ready" that rang out like funky church bells.

But maybe the standout friend onstage was a slick-looking Rockin' Dopsie Jr., in black boots and pristine white cowboy hat, who took over frontman duties more than ably. That is to say, the man did splits.

Mathew Hinton / The Times-PicayuneBuckwheat Zydeoc let loose on his Hammond B3 organ and friends, such as Rockin Dopsie Jr., joined in the fun onstage.The show was billed as a celebration of Buckwheat's 30 years in the music business, and it also included a moment from a group he formed with closer to four decades ago: The 15-piece Creole funk-soul outfit Buckwheat and the Hitchhhikers, who joined up in 1971. (Clifton Chenier later convinced the organ maestro to switch to zydeco.) They closed with a vintage Hitchhhikers number driven by Buckwheat's delirious swirls of organ funk and Temptations-esque vocals, but taken to a whole other level by Dopsie's presence -- and footwork.

"I'm gonna do a little James Brown for you," he said. The rub board flew off his shoulders, he screamed, and hit the floor in a split worthy of the Apollo Theatre. Later, there were handstands.

large_Buckwheat-Zydeco-organ.jpg

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Flower said:
Buckwheat Zydeco was unable to play his accordion, but that didn't stop him from leading a terrific show at the Acura Stage at Jazz Fest.Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Dural, it was announced early in his set at Jazz Fest on Satuday afternoon, has been having some health problems which kept him from breaking out his famous accordion.

See?! I told you that it takes a real man to play the accordion. Even Buckwheat can't handle the job when he's not at full strength.

:pirate:

runtfan

Reaction score
Lots of good ones menioned already...here's a few more that I don't think have been mentioned yet...

Dennis DeYoung
Gregg Rolie
Roger Powell
Steve Walsh
Kerry Livgren
Tom Scholz
Neal Morse
Derek Sherinian
Ralph Schuckett
Moogy Klingman
Craig Frost
David Paich
Bill Payne
Stevie Wonder

...and even though I'm not particularly a fan I gotta give some props to Tori Amos for her keyboard skills.

Rocker440

Reaction score
Allen Lanier
Al Greenwood
Billy Powell
Jon Lord
Rick Wakeman
Ken Hensley
Gregg Allman
John Paul Jones
Dennis DeYoung
Ray Manzarek