Top 5 Hair metal bands of the 80's

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of 80's hair metal bands.. And I have no problem being a majority on that.. 80's ballads!! YOU BET!! I think the stigma Hair Bands live under draws a line in the Rock appreciation world.. Some feel betrayed about the whole 80's Hair band thing like it was the fall of Rock and the 90's came around and saved the day.. BAH!!!

I'm not nearly the fan of eighties hair metal as are some people on this forum but I basically agree with you. Rock didn't need to be "rescued" from power ballads, whatever the contrived definition. Ballads have been part of rock since the beginning in the fifties. Lennon/McCartney penned bushels of ballads. The first few compositions by Jagger/Richards were ballads.

The only problem I had with eighties "hair metal" bands is that their hair and makeup were way over the top for my taste - but so long as the music was good I just dismissed it all as rock theater, an attempt to offend the "straights" and I certainly wasn't going to allow them to get me. A look of wry amusement was all they were going to get from me.

:D

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
The only problem I had with eighties "hair metal" bands is that their hair and makeup were way over the top for my taste - but so long as the music was good I just dismissed it all as rock theater, an attempt to offend the "straights" and I certainly wasn't going to allow them to get me. A look of wry amusement was all they were going to get from me.

:D

I think some don't realize the Big Hair look was for covers of albums and not so much done on stage.. Maybe some make-up but that's a gimmie if your on stage with anybody wanting to accent their looks..
It is theater so to speak and it just adds to the interesting feel of the performance.
And I agree that Ballads have been around for a long time.. I'm getting the impression it was just one more thing for some to add to the list of why Hair Metal bands get ridiculed..

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Ah yes, Twisted Sister! Tear It Loose is a brilliant tune, quite underrated in the end, in the shadow of their hits We're Not Gonna Take It and I Wanna Rock.

Watching Twisted Sister on MTV was one of the most fun experiences I had in my early music listening career.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yup it was all theater and all for show.

Twisted Sister is an awesome band. Anyone ever watch Mendoza play bass?? Animal is right!

Those first two albums UNDER THE BLADE and YOU CAN'T STOP ROCK AND ROLL are two of the finest recordings in Heavy Metal history! IMO

:bow:

taha

Reaction score
now that I have a large ebay stocked shelf of Y&T and XYZ, I vote for theses 2 also, still don't know how I missed these guys thru my major metal years !!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
1, STRYPER 2. MOTLEY CRUE 3. RATT 4. VAIN 5. RECKLESS i dont class my favourite other bands as Scorpions.angel.anvil,riot etc as hair metal

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I know I posted a list already, but I have so many fave's I need to post some that are forgotten goodies :D

Winger
Nitro
Bang Tango
Lynch Mob
Enuff Z Nuff

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online