Top 5 Hair metal bands of the 80's

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Those pics aren't any earlier than about the time that Appetite came out. That's exactly what they looked like on all press stuff in '87.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Yes but '87 to me is early Guns N' Roses still. The line up for Appetite had only been together since early '86 and the album itself was dormant for over a year before it became a hit.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Take into account that Guns and Roses was a part of the Hollywood glam band scene during the 80's..
506691_356x237.jpg

Tracii Guns hooking up with Axl to form Guns and Roses was a part of the Sleeze rock subgender..

I believe Axl first glam band was called Hollywood Rose..

Smoke The Sky

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just odd but I don't see Guns N' Roses as a hair band. With the exception of Axl in the "Welcome To The Jungle" video they just never had the hair to be classified as one.

I think music should not be classified by clothes, haircut, make up... "Hair metal" or "Glam metal" was used because of the 80's metal bands' look but i find it a bit insulting actually. Whatever, a "hair band"'s music is melodic, catchy and rhythmic. They use drums a lot, vocals are generally together in the chorus (i don't know it's technical name :tongue:). The lyrics are about love, social life... You see GNR fits the description :cheers2

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
My favorite 80's hair metal group was Quiet Riot.

After that, it'd go (in no particular order):

Motley Crue
Faster Pussycat
Bon Jovi
Poison

with Warrant as the "6th man" or honorable mention.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
well top five hair metal bands:
1. Motley Cure.
2. Hanoi Rock.
3. Cinderella
4. Tesla.
5.Ratt.

mind you G`N`R could be put here as from some of the photo`s there Glam Era...LOL

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
1. Slaughter
2. Twisted Sister
3. Cinderella
4. Motley Crue
5. Dokken

P.S. Btw, I think it's wrong to classing such bands like Scorpions, G'n'R, Def Leppard and Whitesnake to "hair-metal". IMO, it's not really right.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online