Top 10 Drummers

tkitna

Reaction score
My top 10 drummers in no particular order.

Ringo
Hal Blaine
Phil Ehart
Jim Keltner
Earl Palmer
Dino Danelli
John Poulos
Jim Gordon
Clem Burke
Skip Alan

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Nice to see Phil Ehart on your list.:cheers:

LuvDrums

Reaction score
Krupa
Bonham
Rich
Peart
Moon
Hisemann
Matt Abts
Copeland
Portnoy
Mitchell
Potential biggie-Not much of a NIN fan, but keep you eye(ear) on Ilan Rubin, their new addtion.
Cozy Powell: "I'm not really impressed by a lot these days but, personally, I like John Bonham. There's long gap between him and all the others as far as I'm concerned. Some people may like Carl Palmer and some may like Billy Cobham but I'm talking about rock and roll drummers and he's the best. It's not that he does much that's particularly flash, he's just always there keeping the whole thing going."
"John and I are good friends anyway but I'm after his crown"

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Too many variables involved, I guess, for me to come up with a list of ten.

I enjoy a lot of drummers for a lot of reasons.

I see Peart at the top of a lot of lists. There's no denying the guy is good, but I'm not crazy about the slide rule style of drumming, where everything fits neatly into it's space, with the occasional 'overstuffing' of (I think) way too many intricacies crammed into a very small space. It's impressive, but can be a little tedious.

I enjoy Nicko more because, while his style is the same, it's not nearly as busy.

I also see Bonzo at the top of a lot of lists, and I enjoy him much more than Peart. That isn't a knock, just a preference.

Bonzo, at times, it seems he's not just playing, but flowing right in the song. Like instead of a person playing an instrument., he's part the drums. Hard to explain.

I never get that feeling with Peart.

Anyhow, I really like Neal Smith from Alice Cooper's original lineup.

And another Smith boy, Steve, from Journey is a full, rich style, without being pushy.

My latest find is Barry Kerch from Shinedown. He's not fast or flashy, not a lot of intricacies, but he is full speed ahead, no nonsense, bottom heavy rock and roll. He plows straight ahead, takes no prisoners, and doesn't let up.

His simplicity is what I like best. Where Peart would put two (or five) little whippets of whatever odd thing he could get his hands on in a small space, Kerch will just do a straight snare roll. Groovy rock n' roll.

rocknrollpestcontroll

Jammin On The Drums
Reaction score
Neil Pert has to be just about the best drummer of all time! (this coming from a hardcore rush fan:D)
Phil Collins
Stewart Copeland
that's all I think of for now these drummers are pretty awesome:woot:

Moore_82

Reaction score
01. Cozy Powell (Jeff Beck Group, Rainbow, The Michael Schenker Group, Whitesnake, Emerson Lake & Powell, Black Sabbath, & The Peter Green Splinter Group).
02. Ian Paice (Deep Purple, Whitesnake, & The Gary Moore Band).
03. Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy and The Gary Moore Band).
04. Paul Whaley (Blue Cheer).
05. Bobby Caldwell (The Johnny Winter Band, Captain Beyond, & Armageddon).
06. Joe Hasselvander (Pentagram, Raven, Blue Cheer, & The Hounds of Hasselvander).
07. Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, Blue Murder, & The Michael Schenker Group).
08. Tommy Aldridge (Pat Tavers Band, The Gary Moore Band, & Whitesnake).
09. Rat Skates (Overkill between 1980-87).
10. Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel and Terrorizer).

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
How's about adding Mick Fleetwood and Anysley Dunbar to the list.

Last edited:

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Just browsing through this thread I am amazed how many 'Top 10s' exclude John Bonham. Is this a reverse snobbery thing? ie 'He is the most obvious one so I'm not going to mention him'. There again many of you could be looking at it in a technical sense, which I would have no knowledge of. Drummers are mostly un-noticed in a band, although they are often holding the whole thing together as part of the rhythm section. But, for me, as a listener of rock music over a period of approaching 50 years, Bonham is head and shoulders above anything else I've heard. There are so many Led Zep tracks where you just get knocked out by his playing. I can't think of another drummer who has taken centre stage in the way he did.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online