Thin Lizzy (Official Thread)

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I bought it back when it came out and I think it's a really good album, one of the better rock albums of 2013, but not perfect and honestly feeling more like a tribute to Thin Lizzy than a Thin Lizzy album, but I guess that was the point in the first place. They did the right thing by changing their name.

Agree that they did the right thing by changing their name. Very, very impressed with the album overall. Scott Gorham's guitars give it that distinctive Lizzy sound and the vocals of Ricky Warwick are quite similar to Phil Lynott's (perhaps from the years of singing Thin Lizzy songs). IMO a few of the compositions could have been written by Phil himself, so I rate it 9/10:bow::bow:

Si6776

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post / ask this, but I'll take my chances. :)

For years, I've been trying to find the version of Still In Love With You which was on the B side of the 12" Thunder and Lightning single, either on CD or download. I know the track was recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon in March 1983, and there are probably bootlegs around somewhere, but I want a proper quality digital / CD version of the track, as I no longer have a record player, and would love to hear the track again, as it has the most wonderful guitar solo.

Does anyone know if this is available on any CD?

Cheers,

Simon.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post / ask this, but I'll take my chances. :)

For years, I've been trying to find the version of Still In Love With You which was on the B side of the 12" Thunder and Lightning single, either on CD or download. I know the track was recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon in March 1983, and there are probably bootlegs around somewhere, but I want a proper quality digital / CD version of the track, as I no longer have a record player, and would love to hear the track again, as it has the most wonderful guitar solo.

Does anyone know if this is available on any CD?

Cheers,

Simon.

The double live album "Life" has tracks from the gig at Hammersmith Odeon. I can't say for sure which of them though, but check it out:

Si6776

Reaction score
No, it's not the same version on "Life". The T&L B side has a better guitar solo and also a better mix, where you can actually hear the guitars!

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score

Scott Gorham reveals they didn’t want classic track on Jailbreak album - and how they nearly split over drummer Downey’s beard

Black Star Riders guitarist Scott Gorham has recalled how Thin Lizzy were astonished when The Boys Are Back In Town became their breakthrough hit – because they hadn’t wanted it on their Jailbreak album.

The 1976 single has been listed in Rolling Stone’s 500 greatest songs of all time, and in Q’s 100 greatest guitar tracks.

But Gorham tells Classic Rock: “We were playing in some club in the US when our manager came in and said, ‘Well, looks like we’ve got a hit.’ We were like, ‘Which song?’ Seriously, we didn’t have any idea at all which song it was that had taken off for us.”

He continues: “To tell you the truth, we weren’t initially going to put The Boys Are Back In Town on the Jailbreak album at all. Back then you picked 10 songs and went with those because of the time restrictions of vinyl.

“We recorded 15 songs, and of the 10 we picked, that wasn’t one of them. But then the management heard it and said, ‘No, there’s something really good about this song.’ Although back then, it didn’t yet have the twin guitar parts on it.”

It’s a lesson Gorham has never forgotten. “Obviously The Boys Are Back In Town is the one song that really changed things for us, and I’m very thankful that it did,” he says.

“But I also think about how thin the line can be that separates success from failure. Whenever we’re discussing lead-off tracks with Black Star Riders, I always say, ‘Don’t listen to me – I’m the one who thought The Boys Are Back In Town shouldn’t have been a single!’”

He’s also recalled how Lizzy nearly split up at the beginning of their career – over drummer Brian Downey’s beard.

The fight took place in a TV studio as Lizzy were gearing up to make their US screen debut, following a short break during which Downey had stopped shaving, to mainman Phil Lynott’s fury.

Gorham says: “I remember watching this happening, this really angry row, and thinking: ‘Really, we’re going to break up over ****ing facial hair?’

“But Phil was like that. He was a good guy, but he never lost sight of what it was that he wanted Thin Lizzy to be. That was what was always most important to him.”

He says of Lynott, who died in 1986: “Phil just had a gift for music and melodies, and he had the gift of writing songs that sounded wise – that sounded as if they were being sung by a man. No matter what kind of song he was singing, it sounded like the truth.”

The full interview appears in the current edition of Classic Rock, on sale now in print, digital and via TeamRock+. Lizzy offshoot Black Star Riders tour the UK in December with Def Leppard and Whitesnake:

Dec 06: Dublin 3 Arena

Dec 07: Belfast Odyssey Arena

Dec 09: Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

Dec 10: Glasgow SSE Hydro

Dec 12: Birmingham Genting Arena

Dec 13: Nottingham Capital FM Arena

Dec 15: Manchester Arena

Dec 16: Cardiff Motorpoint Arena

Dec 18: Wembley SSE Arena

Dec 19: Sheffield Motorpoint Arena

Find member

Latest posts