The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
In some places this stuff didn't really get near mainstream until the early 60s but these acts (along with many rockers who might be considered Jazz, Blues or Country artists) were all burning up the airwaves with this very interesting new sound we like to call rock and roll.

Good point.

2000's for me.

Born to Lose

Reaction score
The 80's, without a doubt IMO... generic hair metal, new wave, the start of electronica being inserted into music... the only upsides were the start of grunge and the underground hardcore scene.

Aero

Reaction score
The 80's, without a doubt IMO... generic hair metal, new wave, the start of electronica being inserted into music... the only upsides were the start of grunge and the underground hardcore scene.

Didn't grunge start in the 90s? I know you didn't hear it on the radio in the 80s.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Grunge started in the 80's and got big in the 90's. I'd argue it wasn't really a genre, just more of a marketing ploy grouping all the bands from Washington together.
80's and currently right now. what is being played on the radio and was played then was utter shit IMO.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I just wish I could change my vote. You know this poll was made two and a half years ago. xD

Born to Lose

Reaction score
Grunge started in the 80's and got big in the 90's. I'd argue it wasn't really a genre, just more of a marketing ploy grouping all the bands from Washington together.
80's and currently right now. what is being played on the radio and was played then was utter shit IMO.

Yep. All of the big four of "grunge" formed in the 80's in some way. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana, and the bands that eventually became Pearl Jam, as well as a bunch of great bands no one has heard of, like Skin Yard and Screaming Trees. I agree that grunge is a scene, not a genre. The whole idea of "grunge" was a semi-satirical unity thing that the Seattle musicians started, and it represented being outcasts, so once it became this pseudo-sensitive yet SO MASCULINE BRO dead serious thing in the mid-90's, it'd pretty much lost all meaning.

Born to Lose

Reaction score
21 of you people voted for the 80's???

Well the whole lot of you is wrong. How can the worse decade include bands like: The Police, Springsteen, John Mellamcamp, Guns and Roses, Boston, Billy Joel, Toto...geezus, I could go on and on.

The 2000s had nothing. NOTHING. And it's gotten worse ever since.

I consider Springsteen to be 70's.
The 2000's have given us two really good bands... Gaslight Anthem and Rise Against. Not counting re-shuffled older bands, that's about it.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Yep. All of the big four of "grunge" formed in the 80's in some way. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana, and the bands that eventually became Pearl Jam, as well as a bunch of great bands no one has heard of, like Skin Yard and Screaming Trees. I agree that grunge is a scene, not a genre. The whole idea of "grunge" was a semi-satirical unity thing that the Seattle musicians started, and it represented being outcasts, so once it became this pseudo-sensitive yet SO MASCULINE BRO dead serious thing in the mid-90's, it'd pretty much lost all meaning.
It was a genre along with a scene because they obviously had a common sound to them and the scene became a very very trendy scene for many privileged
white kids who bought their expensive grunge gear at the mall and hung out in coffee shops because it made them feel retro. Everything has an early start but grunge or alternative largely started out being spun on college radio stations for upper middle to upper income white kids and it was the 90's when it made it's mark and to say it wasn't really a 90's thing is confusing to me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online