The Secret Island Band Jams - Resistor

joe

Reaction score
sib_little.jpg

The Secret Island Band Jams(2011) - Resistor(US)

2011 - Resistor CD(US)

- Steve Unruh / guitars, flute, violin
- Rob Winslow / bass
- Barry Farrands / drums
- Fran Turner / guitars

Resistor defines the prog sub-genre, Crossover, fusing atmospheric moods similar to that of some of the modern space/psych bands and time travellin' back to '70's hooking the heaviness of Rush and the prog/folk of Jethro Tull with winds and strings.

The band's release from last year, Rise, was my fav prog album incorporating those styles and structures mentioned above but with a quirky sense of humour with the lyrical story telling captured in the massive epic, "The Land Of No Groove", a wild yet comical fairy tale like story. A welcome relief from most prog bands with thier serious and complex songwriting with meandering musical instrumentation and interplay. Fun stuff.

However, with this release, the band goes back to thier roots of instrumental jamming without going over the edge of endless noodling and soloing and showcases the talents of multi-instrumentalist, Steve Unruh with his well placed acoustic strings, the chilling flute passages and the haunting and spirited ambient violin. Fantastic instumental interludes from all the band members without being repetitive and redundant on both improvised and composed tracks.

Really, a comparison can't be made from this album to thier last releases. Completely different direction but still engaging.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I saw you post that one in the Listening thread but didn't know anything about this band. They sound right up my alley, have to put that one on my list.:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
Gettin' back to ya little late here LG. Early Kansas comes to mind as well with the violin. Steve Unruh is a very talented/underrated muti-instrumental musician IMO. He has quite a few solo albums as well in the vien of folk rock/prog folk and even some bluegrass influences as well. I'll post up some info and vids in the near future.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I look forward to checking it out.:hab:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.