The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

Frands

Reaction score
Stray Cat Blues is a good Stones song although I prefer the Johnny Winter version from Johnny's Still Alive And Well album from 1973 but having said that the Stones version is still enjoyable to listen to.

In the live version recorded at Madison Square in November 1969 Mick changes the age of the young 'girl' from 15 to 13 singing "I know your only 13 years old but I don't want your I.D." which probably raises a few eye brows in todays world?.

It would probably raise a lot of eye brows. I guess many songs from the 60s and 70s would be misunderstood nowadays.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Regarding Monkey Man as a 'filler track' as I said it was but maybe it wasn't or isn't a filler track but it's on a album (Let It Bleed) that already has a number of strong songs on it.

Nai is a Stones fan so he would know what the track was in relation to all the other material that the band turned out.
Monkey Man, is a send up of themselves, and the image betrayed by the press"my best friends are all junkies "... etc.
As far as I can recall Mick and Keith wrote Monkey Man in Positano in Italy, Anita was in a film and Keith did some moog music for the movie Umano Non Umano.. Mick and Keith wrote Rambler in that hilly town also.
Don't forget Let It Bleed was to be originally called Sticky Fingers and include Sister Morphine and Loving Cup... but shelved. Memo From Turner was removed....given that Jagger actually screwed Anita Pallenberg on the set and in the bath during the filming of Performance... taking method acting... to the next level... fair exchange is no Robbery they say... as a scowling pissed off Keith, penned Gimme Shelter in his Lancaster Gate flat.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
I think personally at this time... 1969,the two top groups were poles apart. Abbey Road- though a fine offering was unambitious and displayed the Kings at the top... not doing much. Yet Let It Bleed, was quite cutting edge and was the first album to officially recognise wingmen... Al Kooper, Rocky Dijon, and even the volatile Ry Cooder... 'Jock'... the studio runner even got inner sleeve credits for making the tea!
Mick and Keith originally toyed with doing only 4 songs... in different styles... but scrapped that plot and Country Honk is the only evidence to that idea.
Had to hang fire until summer, '75 to get this, first on ABKCO blue label single, then on Metamorphosis.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online