The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
What's your 3 favorite Stones albums?
Favourite Stones albums?. More than 3 I like all these studio albums- Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock & Roll, Black And Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo and recently I have been re-listening to Dirty Work plus Steel Wheels I have a liking for. Also I like the song Undercover along with the banned video.

With regards to live albums Get Ya Yas Out (of course) Love You Live but I would have preferred the whole album to have been from a stadium concert rather than that 'club gig' on side 3 of the vinyl record and I was listening to Still Life last night and it's not a bad listen but I would have preferred if it had maybe Tumbling Dice, Brown Sugar, Hon*y Tonk Women and Jumpin' Jack Flash on it as well but as Jagger says "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Last edited:

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Favourite Stones albums?. More than 3 I like all these studio albums- Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock & Roll, Black And Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo and recently I have been re-listening to Dirty Work plus Steel Wheels I have a liking for. Also I like the song Undercover along with the banned video.

With regards to live albums Get Ya Yas Out (of course) Love You Live but I would have preferred the whole album to have been from a stadium concert rather than that 'club gig' on side 3 of the vinyl record and I was listening to Still Life last night and it's not a bad listen but I would have preferred if it had maybe Tumbling Dice, Brown Sugar, Hon*y Tonk Women and Jumpin' Jack Flash on it as well but as Jagger says "You Can't Always Get What You Want."
Thanks E-Z always like to see what others like and why. Is har dot pick only 3 for the Stones I agree.

E-Z

Reaction score
Thanks E-Z always like to see what others like and why. Is har dot pick only 3 for the Stones I agree.
If I have to choose 3 then with regards to studio records Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed & Some Girls

A close second maybe Emotional Rescue, Undercover & Steel Wheels

Love You Live
could have been a lot better by omitting the 'club gig' and replacing it with a couple of live tracks from Black And Blue then mixing the whole album 'louder' so you feel like you are actually in the stadium about 3 rows back from centre stage. I read that Jagger & Richards disagreed over the track listing although it wouldn't surprise me if Jagger wanted to include the club gig and Richards wanted it all recorded from the stadium gig?.

Last edited:

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
If I have to choose 3 then with regards to studio records Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed & Some Girls

A close second maybe Emotional Rescue, Undercover & Steel Wheels

Love You Live
could have been a lot better by omitting the 'club gig' and replacing it with a couple of live tracks from Black And Blue then mixing the whole album 'louder' so you feel like you are actually in the stadium about 3 rows back from centre stage. I read that Jagger & Richards disagreed over the track listing although it wouldn't surprise me if Jagger wanted to include the club gig and Richards wanted it all recorded from the stadium gig?.
Nice and interesting choices. Do you like between the buttons also?

It's something I noticed about the Stones recordings. You feel like you're there or in the room with them.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Scaled down to 3 is tough.... as my album preference changes so often, the Stones went back to recording all together as a band years ago.... as opposed to drifting into the studio at 3:am and laying down your own noodling. Though to be fair Keith has been known to do a tad of nocturnal airbrushing!!
So in reverse order:
'Some Girls'
An album that truly reflects the ebb and tide flow of 1977...Toronto busts, disco and punk.... even Mrs. Trudeau. Released in 1978 it was a shot in the arm to the old guard... so to speak, I think it took this second album for Ron to find his feet.
' Beggars Banquet'
This 1968 offering was as dirty and nasty as allowed by Sir Edward Lewis ( cover aside.)
Stray Cat Blues and Parachute Woman are fine examples of the rebranded British blues scene that emerged at this time, coupled with s e x and the occult ( even though actually inspired by Marianne Faithfull's fine reading provenance.)
'Exile On Main St.'
What's not been said already?.... the band and crew lived above the factory ( Keith's Villa.) and charged them all bed & board!
Even though Anita could burn a salad...
The slightly warped sound... the dishevelled atmosphere all add to that smorgasbord called 'rock'... then the tapes were whisked over to the States and given a sympathetic and not too intrusive mix, overdub and vocal addition -
truly a 20th century masterpiece, in the sense of it's perplexity and sheer music quality.

E-Z

Reaction score
Nice and interesting choices. Do you like between the buttons also?

It's something I noticed about the Stones recordings. You feel like you're there or in the room with them.
Between The Buttons?. Yeah it's alright it's more mid 1960s 'pop orientated' but it's ok.

The Stones recordings from England's Newest Hit Makers through to Let It Bleed including the Best of albums all sound great to my ears I love the Decca/London recordings.

With regards to myself naming Emotional Rescue, Undercover & Steel Wheels as close second favourites I named those three because maybe they aren't rated as highly as the 1960s & 1970s material but they all have some really good tracks on them.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Scaled down to 3 is tough.... as my album preference changes so often, the Stones went back to recording all together as a band years ago.... as opposed to drifting into the studio at 3:am and laying down your own noodling. Though to be fair Keith has been known to do a tad of nocturnal airbrushing!!
So in reverse order:
'Some Girls'
An album that truly reflects the ebb and tide flow of 1977...Toronto busts, disco and punk.... even Mrs. Trudeau. Released in 1978 it was a shot in the arm to the old guard... so to speak, I think it took this second album for Ron to find his feet.
' Beggars Banquet'
This 1968 offering was as dirty and nasty as allowed by Sir Edward Lewis ( cover aside.)
Stray Cat Blues and Parachute Woman are fine examples of the rebranded British blues scene that emerged at this time, coupled with s e x and the occult ( even though actually inspired by Marianne Faithfull's fine reading provenance.)
'Exile On Main St.'
What's not been said already?.... the band and crew lived above the factory ( Keith's Villa.) and charged them all bed & board!
Even though Anita could burn a salad...
The slightly warped sound... the dishevelled atmosphere all add to that smorgasbord called 'rock'... then the tapes were whisked over to the States and given a sympathetic and not too intrusive mix, overdub and vocal addition -
truly a 20th century masterpiece, in the sense of it's perplexity and sheer music quality.
Brilliant thanks also for adding to this and love all the extra added info to the choices. I almost got the book on Exiles yesterday. I was given a tenner So got Keef's biog, life. But the exile one does look interesting.

Why did critics not like Exiles when it first came out and only a short time later change their mind?

I like all the albums both you and E-Z have liked too. I think each Stones album has something though doesn't it.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Between The Buttons?. Yeah it's alright it's more mid 1960s 'pop orientated' but it's ok.

The Stones recordings from England's Newest Hit Makers through to Let It Bleed including the Best of albums all sound great to my ears I love the Decca/London recordings.

With regards to myself naming Emotional Rescue, Undercover & Steel Wheels as close second favourites I named those three because maybe they aren't rated as highly as the 1960s & 1970s material but they all have some really good tracks on them.
I quite like it. The US version. Why is Aftermath quite a big Stones album was it the time it was released?
DxrywDNU0AYTpp5.jpg3e8937d683bb09d992bcb11191398af2.jpg

And this is it. I am getting into all the stones era now. Once I got over the Brian Jones is gone part.

E-Z

Reaction score
I quite like it. The US version. Why is Aftermath quite a big Stones album was it the time it was released?
View attachment 206868View attachment 206869

And this is it. I am getting into all the stones era now. Once I got over the Brian Jones is gone part.
Aftermath was the first Stones album that contained all original Stones material and no covers. Jagger said that is why Aftermath was an important album for the band plus it had some classic Stones numbers on it such as Mothers Little Helper, Under My Thumb & Lady Jane.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Aftermath was the first Stones album that contained all original Stones material and no covers. Jagger said that is why Aftermath was an important album for the band plus it had some classic Stones numbers on it such as Mothers Little Helper, Under My Thumb & Lady Jane.
Thank E-Z makes sense. Looks like the Beatles were interested lol

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.