The return of...Weird Al

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
:oyea: Thank God Al Came back to do a parody of Lady Gaga.. But it still puts her in the spotlight..:nw:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I heard something about this on the radio a few weeks back. Apparently Al sent a letter (email or whatever) to Gaga's camp asking for permission to parody the song, and as always included the lyrics. He was turned down.

From what I understand, he typically doesn't ever get turned down as he does all of this quite respectfully. Turns out, some dingbat in her camp just turned him down and never actually ran it past her at all. HE contacted her again (directly this time) and after she heard a rough version, she gave him the thumbs up right away and apologized for the first round of turndowns.

Goofy.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I heard something about this on the radio a few weeks back. Apparently Al sent a letter (email or whatever) to Gaga's camp asking for permission to parody the song, and as always included the lyrics. He was turned down.

From what I understand, he typically doesn't ever get turned down as he does all of this quite respectfully. Turns out, some dingbat in her camp just turned him down and never actually ran it past her at all. HE contacted her again (directly this time) and after she heard a rough version, she gave him the thumbs up right away and apologized for the first round of turndowns.

Goofy.

Apparently, the same thing happened with Ray Davies of the Kinks. Some nutcase in his office thought Ray might get cross if he bothered him with a parody song, so this dude told Weird Al that he was denied. Weird Al then saw Ray at a coffee shop a few years later, and asked why he was denied, the whole story came out, and "Yoda" was released.

And Weird Al has been turned down before by the ACTUAL artist, IIRC. It was actually Paul McCartney, can't remember what the parody was, but apparently it had references to eating meat, which Paul (a strict vegetarian) didn't want to be seen advocating.

But it's good to see Al back out there again :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Don't have any of his albums, but I do enjoy a few of his better parodies.

Best one, his version of Bad is light years better than the original.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Forgot about that one Lady, it was great fun too.:tup:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest