The return of...The Cars?

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
from classicrockmagazine.com

Is a Cars reunion about to happen? Don’t rule it out.

On their official Facebook page, the band posted up a photo of the surviving four members – vocalist Ric Ocasek, guitarist Elliot Easton, keyboard player Greg Hawkes, and drummer David Robinson. They were in a studio, surrounded by instruments.

When asked about the possibility of a reunion, none of the band members would comment. However, a link has appeared on the aforementioned Facebook page to all the rumours, with a note that just says: “Anyone in the mood for reunion by the Cars?”.

The band last worked together in 1987, and bassist Benjamin Orr died from pancreatic cancer in 2000.

22659_291808904928_189146859928_3196963_4268259_n.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Wait till Lady sees this thread she'll be excited.

I am not sure about a reunion, without Benjamin Orr something would be missing...:think:

Reaction score
Wait till Lady sees this thread she'll be excited.

I am not sure about a reunion, without Benjamin Orr something would be missing...:think:

This could be.. but maybe they could take a new direction and do something new, not relive the past or do the same old thing.. Door to Door kind of proved the same old thing wasn't working IMO:D

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
This would surprise me. A lot. If it happened.

Last I heard (though this was maybe 5+ years ago) David wasn't in the music business, and wasn't planning on going back INTO the music business. Another shocker would be the presence of Ric - he didn't really want anything to do with "The New Cars" project (with Greg, Elliot, Kasim Sulton (sp?) and Todd Rundgren) when that arose. Which doesn't surprise me, because I've heard that Ric was very close to Ben during his life, so it would have been a rather disturbing situation to be in, without him.

I don't know.

I'm skeptical.

This could be.. but maybe they could take a new direction and do something new, not relive the past or do the same old thing.. Door to Door kind of proved the same old thing wasn't working IMO:D

God, "Door to Door" was an absolutely HORRIBLE album. In fact it was so horrible that it's not even part of my record collection (I was forewarned in another format).

Last edited:

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
I personally don't want to see them reunited, with Ben deceased and all, and feel that it would truly hurt their legacy.

The Cars were a class act.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
melodicrock.com:

THE CARS TO RECORD WITH RIC OCASEK BACK IN THE SADDLE:
The Ric Ocasek-led new wave band the Cars have reunited to record their first album in 23 years and may support it with a tour, Billboard.com has learned. The sessions were first confirmed by veteran engineer Paul Orofino in posts on the Pro Sound online message board that have since been deleted, and follow the late July posting on Facebook of a photo with the band's four surviving original members together in a Boston recording studio.
Last week, the Cars revealed a 73-second snippet of a new song, "Blue Tip," on their Facebook page, but provided no additional information about the album. Orofino's posts previously indicated that the band, which features Ocasek, guitarist Elliot Easton, keyboardist Greg Hawkes and drummer David Robinson, recorded only new songs for the album at his studio in Millbrook, N.Y. Orofino added that Hawkes played and/or programmed all the bass parts, filling the role served during the Cars' original 1976-1988 run by Benjamin Orr, who died of cancer in 2000.
Sources tell Billboard the group is strongly considering touring, but dates have yet to be confirmed.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
God, "Door to Door" was an absolutely HORRIBLE album. In fact it was so horrible that it's not even part of my record collection (I was forewarned in another format).

Not the best...but not all that bad IMO...a couple cool tracks in there, like You Are The Girl and the title track. I'll have to pull it out this week and give it another spin...been awhile so I will at least say, it's my least played.

Mother of hell.

That's fantastic.

:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online