The Pink Fairies (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
The Pink Fairies were a hard rock/psych/proto-punk group evolved from the UK hippie psychedelic underground band The Deviants. Twink (aka John Alder), the drummer from the Pretty Things joined the band and suggested the name Pink Fairies.

Never Never Land was released in 1971. A single accompanied the LP containing the raw rocking "Do It" and the smoking "The Snake".

Twink left the band and the band continued on as a trio and What a Bunch of Sweeties was issued in 1972. The album was thier most successful though probably thier weakest effort. The highlight is their version of the instrumental surf band The Venture's, "Walk, Don't Run". A nine minute assault with vocals.

Guitarist Paul Rudolph left to join Hawkwind and was replaced by Larry Wallis of UFO. Kings of Oblivion(1973) returned to more of the formula of thier first album containing two epics, "I Wish I Was a Girl", and "Street Urchin".

"City Kids" was covered by Motorhead as Larry Wallis joined Lemy's first version of the band splitting time with both bands. Eventually the band folded in late '73.

The band did reunite in '87 to release one Lp, Kill 'Em and Eat 'Em. The Pink Fairies were one of those bands who were way ahead of thier time.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: The Pink Fairies

I have Never ,Never Land.
TBH, I was very disappointed with it when I first purchased it ,that however was due to the fact that my friend told me that they were "like Hawkwind " which I still to this day can not see, at all.

It has grown on me after dropping my preconceived ideas on what it was
"supposed to sound like ". I like it a lot these days but have not checked into any of there other albums.

Drifter

Reaction score

Ahead of their time they were. They were sort of a less trippy/spacey version of Hawkwind, Very much proto-punk as you say. Kings Of Oblivion is my favorite of theirs but I truly don't think they ever came up with that one GREAT album they needed to reach a mass audience.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Ahead of their time they were. They were sort of a less trippy/spacey version of Hawkwind, Very much proto-punk as you say. Kings Of Oblivion is my favorite of theirs but I truly don't think they ever came up with that one GREAT album they needed to reach a mass audience.

I would define Hawkwind as trippy and spacey so without that aspect
telling someone that they are "like" Hawkwind seems a bit off base IMO :D

Drifter

Reaction score

I would define Hawkwind as trippy and spacey so without that aspect
telling someone that they are "like" Hawkwind seems a bit off base IMO :D

I said a less trippy version of Hawkwind. You misinterpreted what I wrote.

joe

Reaction score

IMO the Pink Fairies are all about fun.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
Never Never Land -Ive got this on now and its good stuff.Ive never played this band before.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.