The Obscure Hard Rock Thread

Reaction score
Well, Head East deserves a mention because when you think of them all you can think of is "There's Never Been Any Reason", but truth be known, they had quite a following and a number of albums.

I was listening to Itunes radio and they played a head east song that wasn't "There's Never Been Any Reason", it was off the 1976 album, I can't remember the name of the song or album for my life, but I liked that better than "Never Any Reason"
I actuallyd on't like that song much, I like the intro, but besides that, eh.. I think it might just be the production, the music is fine, but that production sounds like the stuff I do in my basement....

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
Starman:
Here's another hard rock ensemble, which included Michael Bloomfield, that's beginning to be lost in the mists of time:

Wasn't Buddy Miles in that band? Maybe I am wrong but I thought he was at one time.

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
I have one of MC5's CD's. :tup:

Here's another obscure hard rock early metal band, "Sir Lord Baltimore", a concert review of one of their shows in the late 60's was the first documented use of the term, "Heavy Metal", to describe the bands music.

I have this CD in the library.

I have this on Vinyl and CD as well. :)

I have spoken at some length with John Garner. An extremely nice man. SLB have two other releases including one called RAW that was released just a couple of years ago.

There is MUCH conjecture Lord Grendel with respect to the term "Heavy Metal" and it's true origin. I wouldn't touch that one with a 10ft.pole. The Creem article to which you refer was written in 1971 and the term was used by some as early as 1968 with respect to describing music. Like I stated though, it's all TONS of conjecture. I don't know if anything solid has ever been proved or not.

Great band!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I can't take credit for the "Heavy Metal" reference, an old friend in another forum two years ago posted the actual concert review from a local paper when SLB was performing. I can't recall the name of the paper but it wasn't Creem I remember that much.

taha

Reaction score
only heard of Point Blank....ain't radio grand

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
^^I can't take credit for the "Heavy Metal" reference, an old friend in another forum two years ago posted the actual concert review from a local paper when SLB was performing. I can't recall the name of the paper but it wasn't Creem I remember that much.

It must have been going around:

http://www.creemmagazine.com/_site/BeatGoesOn/SirLordBaltimore/KingdomCome001.html

:dunno:

Believe it or not, Sandy Pearlman, most noted as a producer and writer for BOC, used the term in 1968. He wrote for a magazine called Crawdaddy.

Pearlman's quote...

"It's not like I thought up the term 'heavy metal'--I'm just the
guy that stuck it on the music. Some people tell me that William
Burroughs 'invented' it, but that's just a good joke. That's
ignorant. They have no knowledge of scientific terminology. The
truth is, I first stuck it on one song by the Byrds, 'Artificial
Energy' [from the album The Notorious Byrd Brothers, Columbia,
1968]. That's one of the greatest recordings _ever_, in the
history of the universe."

Now, how's that for mind blower? Not even a real hard rock tune!

peace to you my brothers & sisters! :htg:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I haven't heard that version of the origins of Heavy Metal before. Whatever the roots are some really good bands were responsible for creating and sustaining the new aggressive hard rock sound, BOC being one of my favorites and by extension I have nothing but respect for Sandy Pearlman as well.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think maybe these two bands are missing from the list. "Bloodrock" and "Vinegar Joe"...BTW
, 3WK Underground Classic Rock internet radio plays many obscure classic rock bands

I was thinking the same thing, I only have the self titled debut but Bloodrock was a very good band.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online